Really ? Would you fire your babysitter for this ?

I babysit a 3 year old little boy... I havent done it for long, and we have never had a real problem before ( his mom just drops him off, picks him up in the evening and then we exchange a few words here and there ( usually just cya tomorrow or I sometimes tell her about the things we did that day) ...

Well over the weekend he was sick, his dad was also sick and he stayed home with him on Monday and Tuesday , she called to tell me he would be here yesterday and told me he is on alot of medicine because he was really sick...

I still took him in, I know when my kids where little ( they are in jr. high now) , whenever they were sick we would just kind of lounge around during the day... So I planned the day of watching cartoons on the couch, soup for lunch and some "light playing" ...

Well when he got here, he felt awful and i could tell... he had a temp. , he threw up, he was all stuffed up....

I held him for a little bit ( he wanted me to) and he fell asleep -- he slept for 4 1/2 hours , and of course when he woke up he felt alot better, and we played until his mom came to get him....

When she got him we did the usual convo. I told her how he threw up and that he slept for awhile ( I said awhile, I just didnt assume to tell her exactly how long) ... and that was it...

Then at 8:30 I get a mean sounding text from her asking how long he slept today because he wouldnt go to sleep ... I told her and she was mad and said " why in the hell did you let him sleep that long" my reply was " he was sick and needed rest, he felt better when he woke up" she replied " well yeah, I would feel better if I could sleep too, but thanks to you now I wont be able to" So I replied ": well , I am sorry, but he was miserable feeling and i didnt want to wake him" , she replied back with " Yeah, maybe it was YOU who needed the sleep" ... and then i just didnt write back after that because I was so mad, that i didnt want to type something i would regret later...

She didnt say anything else.... but now she is over an hour late of dropping him off, so I assume that means i am out of a job ......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• She was out of line. First in bringing a sick child to a baby sitter instead of taking care of him herself. And second in fussing at you for doing what is obviously second nature to you, mothering a child in need. Poor guy, of course he needed to rest.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• She is out of line. Lucky for the little boy you were compassionate enough to let him sleep when he was as sick as a dog. I'm sure she was worn out after a day of working and wanted to go to sleep. I always say: better to have a tired mama than a tired three year old:) Sorry this happened, hopefully she cools off and comes around to her senses soon.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• and I understand she was tired and was upset that she would have to stay up a little later...

but it isnt like I do it all the time, in fact this is one of the few naps he has ever taken at my house...

I was once a working mom with 4 kids ( and twins who seemed to never sleep ) so I know that... but I much rather have my small child feeling better than causing this much problems over a little bit of missed sleep....

what mom hasnt had to go without sleep for a little bit ?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You know if she doesn't care for her child as much as she cares for herself, I would quit working for her. It sounds like she was blaming you for having to be a real mother for once in longtime? This is so sad for the child, cause they don't get the attention they need from a parent like this. I feel sorry for you & the child. YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. YOU shouldn't have had to been texted like you did. GOD BLESS YOU For being a concerned real mother who knows how to care for a sick child.
    Debrinconcita

Answer by Debrinconcita at 8:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i would give her a while too, she probably found someone for in the meantime while she cools down. Doesnt mean she replaced you but today might be a day you wont be babysitting him. Glad you didnt reply to her text, never say anything while in the heat of the moment but i wouldnt contact her again until she asks you if your still available then i would just play the "pretend it didnt happen" game.

i remember how my husbands sleep was important to him too and he didnt want any of the kids to take their naps during the day, i was usually too tired to stay up with them if they did. With the boy being sick i would of let him sleep too.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I wouldnt want to babysit anyones child if they were too lazy to take the day off and take care of him themselves anyway. It is parents like her that bring their kids to school or daycare sick and kids like mine sick because they dont want to take a day off. If she didnt want him to sleep that long then maybe she should have called in sick and took care of her child herself.

Answer by gemgem at 8:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think she is lucky to have someone who is willing to watch a child who is that sick. Most day-cares will not take a child who is vomiting or has a fever. I wonder if she would have kept him up if she had stayed home with him.

I think that you might be better off if she finds someone else to provide his care.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• What a real piece of work she is! First of all, if her kid was sick, she needed to stay home WITH him. Does she not understand that you did her an amazing favor by even taking him in the fist place? Second of all, if a kid is sick, they sleep whenever/however long they want. I don't give a flying flip if she misses out on her sleep. That's what she signed up for when she became a mom. How awful that she cares more about her sleep than her child's well being. What a snatch.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Umm... she was lucky that you took him in the first place- being sick. Yes she was totally out of line.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 9:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You sound like a awsome babysitter. you sound like you really care for the children you babysit and she should feel blessed to have you, not mad because you took care of her sick child( which by the way most babysitters wont) i would be happy to have you. i would just give her time to think rationally about it and mybe try and start looking for another job in the meantime.
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 9:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011