Late talker

When should I start to worry that my toddler hasn't said any words? He is 18 months now and I was at least expecting him to say mama or something...

Aimee139

Asked by Aimee139 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he hasn't said anything at 18 mo., talk to your pediatrician about some evaluations. First think hearing (lots of toddlers get tubes in their ears and start talking up a storm). Secondly think of developmental delays. There may be absolutely nothing wrong, but at this age, it's better to find out so that you can start the necessary treatments if there is a problem.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My oldest son didn't start speaking until he was older than 2. He could understand us, but basically refused to speak. When he did start to talk, he spoke in sentences. My doctor kept telling me he was delayed in speech, but he's 22 yrs old now and was in gifted classes growing up. So don't worry, it'll come.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• babies walk at one and talk at two, thats what every dr has told me. my 1st was speaking sentences at 18 months, but i have a 19 month old who doesnt say anything but eeeeeeee, and shakes his head no.im sure hes fine but if you are unsure go see your doc. at least that will give you a piece of mind. good luck, once they start talking they never shut up. haha
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• u may just as u think have a late talker my son was a late talker and hes fine and my niece didnt say anythign other than an ear percing shreek till she was two now shes 5 and wont shut up ever she eaven tlaks in her sleep
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son is also 18 months,a nd doesnt really say too much. Mama and ickey..even mama isnt directed to me, its more of a verb for him. Ive asked the doctors as well as other parents, they both tell me to give hiim some time, that he might just be late, also he is an only child, and that boys are later then girls. If you have real concern talk to your doctor. best of luck
    babymomx2

Answer by babymomx2 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2008