What can I use to keep my cats away from my Christmas tree?

navyma23

Asked by navyma23 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pets

• Oh girl, I could never keep my cats out of the tree...I had to re-wrap a few gifts bc my kitten wasn't declawed, but the older cat (who was declawed) decided he liked to chew the corners...lol. But all he really wanted to do was lay underneath the tree! Try the water spritz thing. It usually works on most cats.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I use a water bottle. When ever I catch him , i just squirt him.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I never could. So we anchor the tree to the wall so that when they climb it they won't pull it over.

Answer by Bmat at 4:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have given up until mine are older. I just re-assemble the tree on a daily basis. I was thinking this would be my year, since my furquints are almost four, but my furtwins just turned a year old in September. One of them was not captured until after Christmas last year, so this will be his first indoor Christmas and first exposure to a tree inside the house. Should be interesting. Water doesn't work on them, they aren't deterred by citrus or mint, and they are all the climbing-est bunch of young'uns I have ever seen in my life. All my previous Feline-Americans were usually content to be much lower to the ground.

There is supposed to be a spray that deters them. I forget the name of it, but you could try searching it online. Good luck.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• place sheets of tin foil under the tree for a few days!! It will work like a charm..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have a fake tree, so they can't really climb it...but they love to bat at the ornaments. I usually end up with all the ornaments moved up to the top few branches of the tree because of kids and cats!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I like the water bottle idea. Spray them lol
    Anonymous

• Last year, my wild cat (before he was hit by a car) climbed my fake tree like he was on a mission. No amount of spray, tin foil or scolding would keep him from doing it. There were ornaments everywhere, missing hooks and tops, lights were rearranged. No hope. I'd have to say lock it up in a room until Christmas is over. lol.
    lubbockmommy510

Answer by lubbockmommy510 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• This is hard to do, cats like to climb. Like mentioned above, spray bottles might work. Cats also HATE citrus smells, you add something citrus to the water in the spray bottle (grapefruit and lemons work).
    Good luck
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i dunno but martha stewart did a segment on that , she said to put a hook in your wall and secure the tree with twine to teh wall so it wouldnt fall during jumps and to put the ornaments on with twist ties (i got silver ones that came with gift bags)  to keep them from falling and breaking, i did this when my son was 18 months with our tree... it did work and he almost pulled it over on himself and i was so glad i secured it to the wall!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2008