Keeping Toddlers away from Christmas Trees! Need urgent Help!

I need to know how you kept your toddler from destroying the tree. I have lots of gates but they are allocated to other areas of the house and I really can not afford to buy anymore gates.

He is 18 months old and very active. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my niece is 18 months also, we just tell her no no and take her away from the situation or distract her with something else that she likes. i think a xmas tree will look silly with a bunch of gates around it anyway lol. just keep telling him no no you have to be gently ..
    Anonymous

• lol this question made me laugh. my 18 month old has been grabbing ornaments off the tree since we put it up, we were doing time outs for it, but its not working, we just moved all the breakable ones to the top and put the plastic ones he cant hurt at the bottom. he takes them off and then i have him put them back on...the top of our tree is crowded with ornaments though.
    Aimee139

Answer by Aimee139 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Lol, my youngest is 18 months, too! Yup, the bottom of our tree is a lil bare now. He finally got that he has to be gentle, so he'll stick his finger out & poke the ornaments, but he's not pulling them off anymore. Just go w/ the "gentle" approach. It worked for us, too. (OK, Elmo keeps ending up off the tree, but hey, it's Elmo, right?!)
    Davidsgirl03

Answer by Davidsgirl03 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i have a 19 month old, and were not putting up the tree tll the day before christmas. i never had a problem with my oldest, but this one is a hanfull.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Taylor's 18 months, also, and she hasn't even bothered the tree. I told her no once, and it was like, all done after that. She hasn't touched it...and she's really active too
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 5:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• we have an artifical tree and an 18mo dd. My tree is so funny this year because we put all the ornaments of the top half of the tree!! Now there is nothing for her to grab. Another option would be to put the tree in a playpen.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 12:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2008