Life Skills??

The school district has decided one of my autistic boys would benefit from a life skills class. The details were very sketchy. Anyone out here familiar with what happens in such a classroom setting?? I'm rather hesitant about if it is the best place for him to be. He does well academically ( B honor roll commended TAKS ALT testing) so I'm not sure why they decided to move him. A little reassurance would be nice. or a fair warning would help too. UGH I just can't decide what is best for him.

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in

• How old is he? Is it at the school or in another setting?

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm not sure what they do in elementary but in middle and high school, they bring kids out into the community and teach them practical things like how to buy an item at a store, how to make change, how to ride public transportation, etc. You can ask to observe the class before agreeing to place your son there.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I am a special ed teacher for middle and high school students, and in my life skills class I teach things including what JSD mentioned, but we also spend a lot of time doing some role play activities that help the children learn how to behave in social situations that may be awkward or not always "common sense" to them. For example, we have a game where the students take turns answering different "life" questions, and this helps them generate ideas that would be appropriate for the situation. A few cards I remember are "If you are going to be late to work or school, what should you do?" or "If you think your friend is being bullied, how could you help".

We also watch some movies and discuss things like why someone is acting the way she's acting or feels the way she feels. What could they do to solve the problem? It helps teach empathy and puts labels on emotions.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would not agree to anything until you have been allowed to speak to one of the programs teachers and get a better outline of the class as well as how it differs form the one he is already in.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Oh, and a life skills class does NOT mean they are going to be less aggressive with his normal academics or that he is doing poorly in that respect. Perhaps they see a need for some of the lessons he may learn in such a class, as it definitely helps with social interaction and communication. Try to think of it as them trying to offer a well-rounded education program. I honestly think a lot of traditional students could benefit from such a class :)
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• He is ten. Will be entering 5th grade next year. Right now he's in an APPLE unit in the public school system. He's made tremendous advances in the APPLE unit, but they want him to do life skills. Nobody was able to tell me exactly what things will be taught or even if they focus on academics at all.
    2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would really force them to tell you what the class was going to consist of before moving him, or even better observe the class yourself. I have worked at schools all over our area and many have a "Life Skills" class. At one school it's like Home Ec, another treats it like a mix of Literature and Current Events (which makes no sense to me at all) and another treats it like a General Math class. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• this is probly just a class like one period not a whole day thing , he probly would be inwhat he was before just go to diff room for this one CLASS once a week or couple days a week , it's a good thing it's good for my Autistic son 11 .--at our school they call it social resource group - it's great
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• ds 9 (10 in august) is going in to 5th grade also next year and has about the same as your son and he is going to do what they are calling real life leason (its basicly teaching him skills he will need to function outside of school and home , in the real world) things like how to use the bank, post office, grocery store, everyday things we take for granted that our kids need extra help with......just make sure you discuss the class and what they teach before you make a decision.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would get some definite answers to what this class is about and how it is different from his current class before I agreed to anything!! My 13 yo is in an AU (autism) class in the public school system and they spend time on academics, social skills, and life skills - but the teacher/student ratio is 4:8, so there's a lot of one on one which I think makes a huge difference for him.

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2011