Has your school told you ,

they dont know who your kids teacher is yet next year because of ''BUDGET CUTS''

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, our elementary school just qualified as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) school - which means a set of 30 IPads for each grade and money for a certified tech teacher. I'm excited!

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No. Every year they say the same thing: they decide late in the summer who will be in which class. They have a lot of kids who move into the area and wait for new registrations to settle down before they decide.

(That way they don't get complaints all summer long about wanting a kid switched to a different teacher.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Nope...I homeschool. I am a teacher, however, and I decided I will not be going back to work this fall after the birth of my 3rd child. That probably saved someone's job. Our district is cutting 26 people.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No. But it's a private school and the elementary school only has 2 teachers per grade. They just raise tuition and fundraise like h*ll. We don't find out who he has until the day before school starts, but he will be taught by both teachers every day. His "teacher" is more a homeroom situation.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my daughters going to a new school so they hired new teachers (use to be middle school they closed it down and are redoing it).. they built a bigger high school so all the teachers from the old middle school went to the new middle school or the high school.. its confusing lol
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• ds 9 will have the same specail ed teacher next year , dd 13 will have the same teacher as this year (goes to a very small country school ) and dd 15 is going to be a junior in high school so she picked her class for the most part
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Our local public schools were in this situation a few years ago - they couldn't even tell you which grade school your child would be attending (we have 4) because the didn't know which schools were going to get to keep teachers and which schools would be loosing them. We have several teachers who were "older" when I went to grade school and they are still teaching (and I'm over 30). An "early" retirement for a lot of those wouldn't be a bad thing.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Our schools have never told who the teacher was until August.

They still shuffle classes around until then, waiting for registrations to settle down.

Plus, the earlier they tell, the earlier people try to get their kids switched around to be in the same class as each other, in different class from a kid, with a certain teacher, away from a certain teacher, etc, etc.

The only time I've ever known who my teachers were going to be was when I was in a special program and there was only one teacher per grade for the program. I still never got official word until August, but I unofficially knew who I had.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No. Here, the classes are determined in April/May of the current year for the upcoming school year, though they are not announced/posted until a week before school starts. I know that because we petitioned the school last year to have my daughter put in a particular teacher's class and we were told of the final class list in April BUT told not to tell anyone ... DD's teacher filled us in. Our district's policy is not to advise parents of their child's teacher for the upcoming year, even if asked (they use the excuse that the lists are not finalized until final registration). However, if anyone did ask and was given that specific excuse that they couldn't tell because of budget cuts, we'd know they'd be lying because the budget for our upcoming school year has already been determined.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My oldest has autism and we knew which middle school he would be going to, and there was only one AU classroom, so we called and talked to her before the school year ended. The week before school started they had an Open House night for new students and we went in, met the teacher, saw the classroom, etc., then he and I went back everyday just to run in and say hi to the teachers, make sure he knew how to get from the bus parking lot to his classroom (although the teachers are there to pick him up every morning). Made for a much smoother transition.

Answer by missanc at 3:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011