Searching

Ok everyone get ready. I have been doing some searching into my beliefs (mainly religious) and would love some outside opinions. I know a lot about the Christian faith and am not opposed to hearing from Christians, but would really like to hear about other beliefs. So maybe a short summary on why you believe what you believe?? Convince me...

ei_home

Asked by ei_home at 9:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Eek! Well, I am not necessarily "religious" or belong to any sect group but I guess I am pagan. I believe the universe is the concept of "god" and that in it all things are created. I believe in the science of things but also practice a lot with nature and study the natural laws.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My path is just that, mine. I can tell you what I believe until I am blue in the face, but that is not going to convince you to believe it. YOU have to decide what YOU believe in. No one else can do that for you. I do wish you luck in finding your path.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Try going to beliefnet and taking their Belief-o-matic quiz. It'll give you a closer idea of what religions fit in with what you already do believe. really it could be as simple as you've been looking into the wrong denomination for you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I guess I wasn't too clear. I want to be exposed to other ways of thinking. Of course no one can convince me, but I maybe I have never heard that opinion or point of view (and you sharing might open my mind up to something that I haven't ever thought of or heard about). I want info on other things and I want it from people "living the life" whether religious beliefs or non-religious. I don't want to read "facts". I want to hear from a real person why they think it is fact. Maybe that helps?
    ei_home

Comment by ei_home (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Best thing to do in that case is simply do research on your own and try to discern what makes sense to you. It's all your interpretation and your beleifs, not anyone else's. If you wnat more specifics the best thing to do is ask a question about it. Otherwise beliefs are just too diverse to sum up in a quick little paragraph or two.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The first comment left is exactly what I want. I need a place to start research. I need somewhere to go. I want to be exposed to new and different things. How can I research ... if I don't even know what ... is. I am not asking anyone to sum up their whole entire life beliefs into a paragraph. Man, most people are dying to share their opinions...here I am asking and no one is biting. :) haha
    ei_home

Comment by ei_home (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I believe all paths are equally valid, because I believe God is all loving, and all paths seem to rely on the same fundamental truths - the ideals of love and compassion and humanity. I have a Christian foundation, so I tend to see things through a Christian worldview, even if that Christian perception isn't a very traditional one. I study and pull from other religions, and believe that what matters most is following your heart, finding what resonates with you, and cultivating that. In the end, we're all just taking different paths to the same destination, in more than one way (I believe we all go to the same place after we die, and I believe that (almost) all of the paths help to cultivate the virtues of love and compassion and humanity, etc, so you could say they offer the same/similar results in their various ways, if that makes sense). I guess that's the really simplified version, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• (I said almost because fanaticism, extremism, etc don't help in that at all)

For you, I would just suggest really thinking about what YOU believe. Learn as much as you can about the various faiths of the world. Talk with people - there are plenty of groups here on CM that are great for that - just take the time to explore as much as possible, because the more you explore what is out there the more you can determine what resonates withIN you, if that makes any sense. You can focus on what you believe in comparison to others, thinking about and hearing about the different perceptions can help you find your own, because it allows you to consider what works for you, where YOU stand on the ideas of faith. :)

Good luck!!!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Short summaries of the 2 faiths I am involved in/participate in the most.

Hindu (I was raised Hindu):There is no 1 single way to be a Hindu. Hindus worship in thousands upon thousands of different ways. Hinduism does have a base. The trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva (Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Protector, Shiva the Destroyer). There are thousands of Gods/Goddesses in the Hindu Pantheon. However, contrary to what man think/believe. Hindus do not believe that all of these thousands are individual Gods. Most believe that each of these represents an aspect/trait of The One Universal Creator. Hindus worship/pray to the aspect of God (the "God/Goddess" representation of that aspect) that they personally relate to the most. It is viewed as "a personal God". Hinduism is the oldest living religion and is practiced in so many ways and is so individual it is considered by many to be a lifestyle instead of a religion.
    Cont.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Sikh

I married into a Sikh family/household. Sikhs believe in Ek Onkar = The One Universal Creator. Sikhs (like Hindus) believe All is one. Meaning: everyone who believes in /worships God (regardless of the name they choose to use) believes in/worships the One Universal Creator. Sikhs believe all religions are valid and equal. Sikhs believe all humans are equal beings. Sikhism was the first religion to have female equality from it's very inception. The Guru Granth Sahib (the religious book of the Sikhs) is the only sacred/holy text that acknowledges and revers the prophets/saints of other religions. The place of worship for Sikhs is the Gurdwara, anyone and everyone is welcome as long as basic rules of etiquette are followed. Sikhs do not cut their hair, males do not shave their beards, men (and women alike if a woman chooses to) wear a turban to cover their hair.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011