Summer learning?

What do you do with your kids, if anything, schoolwise, during the summer break?
My kids are 7 and 5. In the past I've just done the occasional writing practice sheets and reading.
It was difficult this past year to get back into the swing of school and doing homework. So for this summer I was planning on practicing penmenship with both, they're writing is pretty sloppy. Some math and ofcourse reading all summer. I figure if we aim for 20mins a day over summer vacation that that would be enough.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I get my kids a math workbook for the upcoming grade level. If they complete it by the end of the summer, we do something special (like go out to lunch, or get them a special toy). I also require that they read for 30 minutes everyday after lunch - it has to be done in their rooms, so it gives me a little peace and quiet too.

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My daughter is getting a set of "summer presents". She is getting a journal that we have a set time to write in each day, I bought her a large worksheet book for the next grade (she loves doing those), and she is coming up with her own summer projects.

Projects are a big thing at her school. Every four weeks she has a weeklong research/opinion project with an essay, poster, and oral presentation. These started in kindergarten! So we are doing them this summer, too, but with more flexibility on topics.

So far she wants to do one project on Busch Gardens (she'll have to narrow that down), and has already started taking pictures for it. Because she loves photography, I am trying to let her use that as much as possible, and told her I would print her pictures every Friday to mail to grandparents and put in her album, as long as she writes a caption for it. This was a big incentive! (writing is her big waterloo)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• There is a TON of things on the internet you can print out on various subjects. You can even create your own according to your child's grade level. Even driving down the street can be educational. Pick out things you see along the way and have a mini spelling competition. Go over multiplication tables while driving. Have them help you add things up at the grocery store. Have them read you names of the things for sale at the checkout counters. Search for fun home science projects/experiments to keep their science juices flowing. Take them on a "nature walk" through your neighborhood park. Give each of them a bag to collect any little treasure they find. Then, at home have them write a short story about their walk, what they did, about their treasures, their favorite part. The sky is the limit for you as a teacher, Mom!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Sounds like you have it covered. Does your local library have a summer reading program? Check some on line resources for more ideas to make it fun & not seem like work. :p For example, an easy cooking activity is scientific & mathmatical. Enjoy your summer! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My twins just finished kindergarten and their school does summer school once a week that I plan on taking them to. They also got a packet that has a little activity that if they complete and return then they get a movie at the end of the summer. Also, the library has a reading program and a craft/story time that we are going to do. We go once a week for the craft time and bring in the reading card and they get a small prize for reading. Each week the prize gets bigger. At the end of the summer, they get a swim pass for completing the reading program. To be honest with you, I need these things because my kids get sick of me nagging them about reading and doing schoowork-lol, but I really don't want their brains to rot during the summer- I want them to be ready and confident for the first grade.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 10:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You are all such good mamas, I would never even have thought about it.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We homschool year round (we only work M-Th each week) so we keep our regular schedule for the most part. This summer we are also adding in a workshop put on by the local community theater group and taking advantage of Kids on Campus at our local community college. I am giving a preforming arts credit for the community theater workshop (at the end they will put on the play Willy Wonka Jr) and we will count the college time toward a subject based on the classes she opts to take. In previous years we have also done the summer reading program at the library, but this year both of my girls are too old.  We will also be spending extra time at the pool this summer, what a fun way to get PE out of the way (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:02 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We do lots of reading and practice math facts.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You can purchase books at costco designed for summer learning. They are really nice, and do a great job at keeping them in the school frame of mind.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think 20 minutes a day is a great plan!
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 2:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011