Christmas Delimia Re: Food. We will be alone....what can I cook

My DH's family christmas will be on Saturday this year. That means we will be alone with his two boy (adults) and our toddler on Christmas Day.

Since we will have a turkey and traditional dishes a few days later, I would like to cook something special for us Christmas Day.

Any ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Food & Drink

• What about a standing rib roast? They're actually pretty easy to prepare. I like to put it in the roasting pan, fat side up, and sprinkle with celery salt, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper (fresh ground is best). Then I add thinly sliced onions and a cup of beef broth to the pan and put it in the oven. Heat your oven to 425*f and roast for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 225*f and continue for about 3.5-4 hours. Let meat rest at least 15 minutes (25-30 is better) before carving. For easiest carving, cut downwards along the bones to separate meat from bone, then slice the now boneless roast. The pan drippings and onions make an excellent gravy. You can either roast potatoes and carrots along side the roast, or serve mashed potatoes and another veggie separately. I like a mix of green and yellow beans, steamed briefly, then sauteed with butter & lemon or orange zest. It is an elegant looking meal, and delicious, and special.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Maybe do some steaks? I get more excited about the special sides or snacks than I do the meal, personally.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• A spiral ham is a good alternative...and couldn't be easier to prepare or serve!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• HAM - baked sweet potatoes - salad -- cheese ball and crackers - champane!!
    workgoat

Answer by workgoat at 6:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• What about food from your ethnic heritage? I grew up with tamales for xmas. or, ask around and find out what everyone would like to eat. Last xmas (we celebrated a week later) at my in laws we had a variety of soups and bread.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Ham is a good traditional substitute. we always ate frozen pizzas on christmas day...but i doubt thats what you're looking for haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2008