Im having my wisdom teeth cut out in a little over a week and im still breastfeeding and my dentist told me to look into switchin to formula but my son is 9 months old i dont want to stop now but i turn 21 in a month:/ advice?

nikki8272010

Asked by nikki8272010 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Health

• Contact a LC or LLL. There's a great chance that the meds are compatible with nursing, especially since your son is 9 months old.

Once you are awake from the surgery you should be fine to nurse.

That dentist is not a lactation professional. You need to get real answers from a person knowledgeable. Check out the breastfeeding group on here. Many members have copies of "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Dr. Hale. It's the go-to resource for checking which meds are safe for nursing Moms.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 10:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• pump and dump while on the pain meds. This will allow you to stay comfortable for the couple of days after your surgery, keep the pain meds out you your LO's system and allow you to go back to breast feeding once you are ready.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• as much as you can. If you *have* to supplement with a little little formula it's not the end of the world. Just start pumping after each feeding and saving what you can until time for surgery.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You can pump and store the breastmilk for when you are on the meds and just use a bottle. Pump when you're on the meds and you can just toss it out. I'm not sure why she would want you to switch, if you are just going to have novacaine and some pain meds afterwards, that's ridiculous. It's not like the pain is going to last any more than a day or two. Or is there any possibility of keeping your wisdom teeth? ARe they bothering you? I had mine until I was 44.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• are you throwing in there that u are turning 21 b/c u will want to stop then b/c u want to drink?? im confused-
    if u dont want to stop then pump milk now freeze it so he can use it while ur on pain meds for ur tooth being pulled. then go back to from the tap after the drugs are out your system.as for drinking if ur still bf'ing then pump bottles b4 u drink.then wait 24 hrs for all the alcholo to be exspelled and continue breast feeding..or just do what most women do...dont drink....
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• And pump beforehand to have a back up supply for when you are on meds. Or supplement with formula if the baby will accept it.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my dental insurance gets cut off when i turn 21 one thats why my dentist is wanting me to have them done. and i not sure how much id need to store for him and suggestions?
    nikki8272010

Comment by nikki8272010 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think it's ridiculous for your dentist to want you to stop breast feeding just because you're having wisdom teeth pulled. I never breast fed my daughter who's 6, but I would take the suggestions of these moms. I've had 2 wisdoms removed (not at the same time) and you'll only be in pain for a day or 2.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I had to have my gall bladder removed when my dau was just a few mos old. I pumped & stored as much as I could in the freezer & continued to pump & dump until I was off the pain meds. If your supply of stored milk runs low, maybe mix in half formula w/ your breast milk to make it last a little longer. GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• thank you ladies:] this has helped alot im still nervous about being put to sleep lol
    nikki8272010

Comment by nikki8272010 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011