saw this posted on the new cafe mom's group

How many of you wipe your baby at EVERY diaper change. This post was talking about how her friend's baby had crust under his penis and she thought it was because they only wipe after poopy diapers. The other moms really let the ones who don't wipe after every change have it! I was shocked...we only wipe after poopy diapers as well because wiping after every change is proven to cause rashes and skin irritation. My son doesn't have crust under his penis and he gets a bath every night!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once again I am forced to say to each their own. I always wiped my daughters regardless of what kind of diaper I was changing but I have littel girls and no boys so I have no idea about crust. If you bathe your son every night I assume you are NOT a negligent parent and keep your child well cared for and clean. I can only assume as I did not read the original post that there were questions of cleanliness and neglect regarding the people that did not wipe every time. If a child is cared for and well kept who is anyone to tell someone they are doing it wrong?
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i saw that post too, i wipe after"morning diapers" or if hes soaking, but besides that only after poop, because he will get a rash, and he also gets a bath everynight, and weve never had any crust on his penis either gross.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• After poop only unless I see something that makes me think he needs it...like he is super wet or something.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 4:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I didn't make a big deal about wiping after wet diapers either......and I never had any cases of diaper rash or crust of any kind with my kids at all (one boy and one girl). I don't think it is wrong to wipe after every diaper, but I also don't think it is wrong to be a little more relaxed about it. With the disposable diapers everything is absorbed away from the skin and the skin stays clean and dry. And I wil also "confess" that I didn't always give my babies a bath every single day either but I will say that they were never, ever dirty! No rashes, no problems. My kids are 11 and 19 so I don't have anything left to prove on this one, but I can't stand people being judged!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have 5 kids and it always depended on how dirty they were. I was told by my pediatrician not to wipe my boys after they wet because two of my sons developed serious rashes all the time. Once we stopped wiping after every pee the rashes stopped. I did however wipe them down every morning because I felt they were very wet from the night diaper and always wiped after poop. They also got baths every night, sometimes twice a day depending on their age. Im not a bad mom and followed my pediatricians advice and if anyone has a problem with that then thats their problem. I dont know why some ppl feel the need to attack other womens parenting skills when they might not know the whole story.

Answer by gemgem at 4:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm not saying your a bad mom for not giving your baby a bath every night because its actually recommended that you do it every other night...we just do it because he throws up a lot and his neck stinks and it's part of his bedtime routine. I can also see maybe wiping girls because the pee can get stuck in between the folds of the vagina...I was just reading that post and just by reading people's responses made me feel like I was a bad mom just because I don't wipe every time and that to me was crazy. So I just felt the need to bring it up here because I wasn't going to join the group just to post my 2 cents on their message board. I don't know what's so hard about people stating their opinion and being nice without jumping down others throat's. People come on here for advice, help and to see if someone has a better way of doing things!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Ive caught hsi daddy not wiping him after a peepee change, and boy did he get an earful, by I mean cmon!! No wonder that poor baby got crust under his penis....ugh! I wipe after every change!
    Anonymous

• I wipe and air out my twins after every diaper change because I don't get to bathe them every day. Plus my son had a "loose circ" because he was a preemie. I have to pull back the extra skin to clean it. Not my idea of fun, but I'd rather he doesn't get an infection.

The crust might be because of improper washing. There are folds and crevices that need to be cleaned otherwise they get schmegma.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I wipe after every diaper change just because i like to. To me it gets all the pee off and helps keep her diaper rash away, and keeps odor away> But maybe the baby that had crust on it didn't get baths everyday. Thats probably why you don't have a problem with your baby. I think if you bathe them everyday you can probably get away with not wiping on wet diapers. But i only bathe my 5 month old every other day or every 2 days so i wipe after every diaper. Plus i have a girl, and you have to clean around the real well. But as long as there is nothing wrong with your baby i would n't let what others think bother me. But the mom whose baby does have crust, maybe she needs to be taught how to clean her baby properly. She may be a first time mom,and may be afraid she will hurt him if she tries to remove it.
    Anonymous

• i usually wipe, but i prefer to rinse. baby wipes have so much unnatural crap in them. so i don't like to over use them. poops usually need both.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008