Help! My 1 1/2 year old son has kanker sores on his tongue. Any tips on how to sooth him?

The doctors said he has some type of virus that is going around that he probably got at daycare. But he said to just treat it with Motrin. He is so sore. He whines all day, doesn't want to eat or drink much. It is hard to get him to take the Motrin. Nighttime is the worst. He is not sleeping well, therefore very fussy! Has anyone else had a child with this?

kherz

Asked by kherz at 10:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I get canker sores in my mouth, I avoid foods with lots of acid, like OJ and other juices, and I also hold a tums in my mouth on the sore. Call the pharmacist at your drugstore, and see if this would be safe to do with a baby. I *think* it would be OK, but he might have a better idea for you. Honey might soothe it too, and that is OK for kids over 1 yo. Good luck! I'm not a doc, this is just what works for me, OK?
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2011