Divorce--what and how to tell your kids? Should you tell them when you still live together or will just confuse them? More in question.

He went to the class required for divorce in indiana and I go on june 25. But they saw tell your kids as soon as possible. But I was hoping to tell them everything like moving if husband will let me to be with parents, free babysitters and even 4 jobs lined up and cheaper to live but still do not know the answer to that yet since he will not tell me. Plus will it confuse them when still living together? The class said that should not matter and better they know while both parents are around to help. Any advice for me? How to tell them? Books maybe to read or get for them to understand more? Thanks.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 10:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• How old are the kids?

Answer by missanc at 10:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• girls ages 9,7, and 6.
    momindiana

Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• you should both sit them down and tell them that mom and dad are not going to be living together but it doesn't change the fact that you as parents don't love them. you should tell them asap. and see how they take it and see how it affects them and go from there.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It really depends on the kids ages and if they are old enough to understand the situation. If they are, then as the lady above said, you both should sit down with them and tell them, but also reinforce that mommy and daddy will still be around and still love them dearly. What is the time-frame on your split? It would be better to prepare them for what is upcoming than a surprise announcement. Then they will at least have a chance to "get used" to the idea, and you guys can gradually deal with any questions they may have.
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 12:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2011