If you have had a c-section...?

Did you have to sign consent forms or do they just do it? My doctor is pushing a c-section that I don't feel comfortable with because he thinks my baby will be 10 lbs. I delived a 9 lb baby vaginally with no problems, and I think this is absurd.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had to sign consent forms, but both of mine were scheduled csections.

Answer by missanc at 10:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• So, tell them that. If you want to deliver vaginally, do it.

My c-section was last second, because my daughter went from a head down position to a breech position. But, yes, I have to sign forms stating I was having a c-section, and aware of the risks of what could happen and stuff.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yeah, I had to sign both times. The first was unplanned, the second was scheduled. I would not have had it any other way!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes I had to sign forms and mine was an emergency c-section. He can't force you to do it tell him you are delivering vaginally their never right about the weight estimates they give!
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 10:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I had to sin the forms for my c-sec even thoguh it was an emergency and I was in bookoos of pain. They wouldn't even let DH sign them. I had to. My signature basically consisted of a letter and a scribble.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Mine was an emergency situation and yes, a consent form had to be signed.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yep. They all had to be signed for. If I could not do it, I needed someone to sign for me or they can use implied consent.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes and I regret it both times!
    nightngale83

Answer by nightngale83 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I just had a c-section 2 weeks ago. My baby was also 10lbs and I decided not to take the chance of damaging his shoulders. If you don't want to do it just tell them that your going to try vaginally. I never went into labor naturally with either of my children so for me the c/s was the right choice.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They can't just do something you don't want done. There is a Patient's Bill of Rights that I think everyone should read. You have the right to refuse. Understand that it is more money for a c-section. This is becoming an epidemic. Babies are born vaginally at 15 pounds. I was taught to delivery babies in the field, breech and all, if I can do it in an emergency situation, there is no reason a trained doctor in a medical facility can't. There are also a lot more risks with a c-section and the recovery is a lot longer. It is major surgery with lasting effects to the muscles of your stomach and pelvic floor. They also cannot tell how much that baby weighs from the ultrasound. My niece was 6 pounds at 7 months and they expected her to be 11. She was just over 6 pounds at birth. My sister refused the c-section and the induction. Baby is now almost a year and fine.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 2, 2011