When did you take your birthing class?

I'll be almost 26 weeks. We have to fit the class around stupid football. DH is an Alabama grad.

Did you take the birthing class for your second? (This is our first. I'm just curious.)

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 10:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• lol-- "pain free... "
    ;-P

You can work to reduce-eliminate pain & risks with preparation!
    ;-)

I would suggest reading a book or two prior to going to the class so you have a little foundation established.
    Make some notes about questions so when you go to the class you can get more out of it.

Lots of ideas & suggestions for you, I have been around this a while, hehe.

If you don't know your options you don't have any.
    Preparation is good.

Best wishes!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Never took one, just read alot online, and in my "What to expect when your expecting" book. I did fine, its not hard.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I didnt take any but they recommended I take them when I was around 28-30wks cant remember exactly! I am ttc for my second and I dont plan to take any again. You will deal with the pain in your own way. But it also cant hurt to get some tips! GL
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 10:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i never took any of them but i handled everything great just as im sure you will to..i agree hollysebeck you deal with your pain in your own way and reading and research is just as good..congrats and good luck..they usually ask you to come in your last2weeks b4 your due date
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have taken them the entire duration of the pregnancies.

I've gone to different kinds, loved Birthing From Within and my waterbirth classes most.
    Bradley was really wonderful, too.

What kind of class are you considering?
    What kind of birth experience do you want?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• By the way, there are online classes and birth doulas as other options...
    If you could only choose one, you might consider a doula (if you're a hospital birther, especially).

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I never took a birthing class with any of my kids.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I took a birthing class with my first. It was a JOKE of a class and a waste of time and money. It was a class through my local hospital, and we'd come for an hour or two for a month or something. I honestly don't remember. I was 21-22, my then boyfriend (now husband) was 22-23. All the other expecting couples were around their 30's and were all neighbors. I'd have been better off just saving the time and money, I wound up using NONE of the techniques the class taught.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My OB recommends a birthing class taught by a nurse who has worked in L & D 20 some odd years. From what I can understand, she pretty well touches on everything. I'm utterly clueless about everything (except how babies are made, lol!). I've always enjoyed school, so I figure this class will be fun, too. It's a one-day class, 9:00-5:00.

In regards to a birthing experience, I'd prefer a pain-free one. :D Again, I don't know all my options, but I am DEFINITELY giving birth at the hospital. I'm just more comfortable with that idea. I've seen water births on TLC, but really, that seems like a lot of trouble.
    mrsjon

Comment by mrsjon (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011