Why babies cry at nightime only

My girl was crying bad every hour since 7:30pm to 1:30am. She sleeps on her bassinet next to me but every 2 or 3 days she keep on crying and the only way she would sleep is in bed with me. I'm scared to do that because i might forget she's there. That this happens to any of you ladies???? she is only six weeks old

stella_82

Asked by stella_82 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, that sounds familiar. I would sleep with my hand on her back while she was in the bassinet. My youngest slept right next to me in the bed around 3 mos or so. She sounds like she's at the age when she has figured out your warm body isn't right there, or she's coming down with a cold or something and needs you more..
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Mine does that too but I will sleep with him. I did with all my babies. If you're not comfortable with it though you shouldn't do it. I will put the baby in my arm, head on arm and the rest of my arm down the side of his body. This works for us. Maybe you should see if you can lower the bassinett so that you can put your hand on her back and keep it there and still keep sleeping. Or put a sweater or shirt you wear often with her. I did that with my first, when my mom would watch him I sent my sweater and she would cover him with it. Just the scent of me helped. After he was sick he wouldn't go to sleep in his crib. He was about a year at that time and I put a pillow in his crib, (he had slept on my pillow when he was sick and seemed to like it) a very flat one and I would change his pillow case with mine every few days. I read that if they can smell you they can be conforted too, so we went with that. Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• how old is she? Maybe she just feel insecure. I cosleep with my son for couple of wks when he's 2 months old then I put him back to his own crib. I do scare that I'll hit him or elbow him by accident. Does she take a paci? Could be scare of dark or too cold/too hot, but usually kids likes to sleep with parent
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I had something that I could put in bed, it laid flat but had hard plastic sides that came up a few inches so that I couldn't roll over onto my dd but then she could still be next to me in bed and I could sleep kind of cuddling her. It worked wonders because she did not do well on her own in the bassinet really ever, and she didn't get into her crib until about 6 months. There was another Mom on here who always used to say something how instinctively babies want to be close to their mothers, and to sleep with their mothers, for food and safety reasons so it does kind of make sense that they don't want to be alone at night. Do you swaddle your baby? That might help, too. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Oh boy. My son went through that stage. If you don't feel comfortable leaving things in her crib, try sleeping with a crib sheet and a swaddling blanket/receiving blanket. Then, change the crib sheet and try swaddling her in the blanket. Or put the you-scented things under the sheet instead of over. There are also sound machines, like the ones used for yoga relaxation or sleep assistance, that have white noise or nature sounds. Mine also has a heartbeat, which my son loved. Or you could record yourself talking or singing quietly and play it on loop.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2011