Please tell me her toenail will grow back!

DD (6) was playing on one of those mini exercise trampolines yesterday morning, and somehow her whole toenail was ripped COMPLETELY off! She has been freaking out about it since it happened.

It is a neighbor's trampoline, that they had carried over to our back patio. Normally she would be made to wear tennis shoes, but it happened first thing in the morning when they were on the patio waiting for their breakfast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You know what the same thing happened to one of my older brothers when he was little and his grew back.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I lost my pinky fingernail (completely fell off after getting it stuck in a folding chair) when I was a child and not only did it grow back, but it is also the strongest of all my nails!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No need to worry, it will grow back. And honestly, I make the kids take the shoes off on the trampoline, I find it more dangerous when those hard things are flying through the air into people's faces. If it bothers her you can put a band-aid over it.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It will grow back, I did pedicures forever and have seen lots of toes with no nails and all of them grew back............will take some time but it will come right back out :)
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yep it will grow back, no biggie.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It happened to me, it grows back. You should keep it covered with antibiotic ointment while it heals.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes, it should grow back. Hurts me toe to think about it. Just make sure it doesn't get infected, and her tetanus shot is up to date.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Im pretty sure it will grow back.. itll take a while though. Poor girl!
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We're keeping Neosporin and a bandage on it at all times, except when she bathes or showers. She's just distraught over it though and I don't blame her. Thank you for the replies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2011