When did your doc do bloodwork when you got pregnant?

My friend is newly pregnant, and they won't do her bloodwork to check her HCG levels until 9 weeks. Is that normal? They checked mine right away bc I went through an infertility clinic.

ashleybgarcia

Asked by ashleybgarcia at 10:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Right around 8-10 weeks with all of my little ones. Seems about right.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:44 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They usually dont want to see a woman until they are close to 8 weeks. If there is no risk or history of miscarriage I guess it is normal for them to do this. I knew something was wrong and they agreed and just sent me for the lab work the day I called them.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Oh ok. I just thought, wow, they don't want to see if your numbers are doubling? Bc they can't see anything yet on ultrasound. I guess bc you pay a lot for infertility, they do it right then!
    ashleybgarcia

Comment by ashleybgarcia (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my doc nvr checkd mine i dont believe or she just didnt say anything to me ..the only blood work i have had done is the blood panels to check and see if the baby will have any special needs and i just had that done today at 17weeks
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• no that is not normal when i went to my obgyn for my first check up they ttok blood right away tell her to switch
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 2:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I told her to switch, and she just says it's their protocol. She is an MRI technolgist. She went to another doc, bc this doc wouldn't do an ultrasound either. The Dr. asked her there also ," didn't they do a blood test?" And she of course had to tell them no. She was telling me a few things about the office, and they seem kinda whacky to me..Thanks ladies!
    ashleybgarcia

Comment by ashleybgarcia (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011