Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Emergency assistance income....

we're a family of 4. later today (about 5 nerve wracking hours from now!) we are meeting with a county lady to apply for emergency assistance, something we've never done before. (It's for our utilities which are over $3200 from over the winter, more than we make in a month)

I'm to bring 60 days worth of EVERYTHING... money in and money out. I am wondering what 60 days worth of income is considered poor enough to be deserving? And do they understand when expenses are higher than most folks? (IE a $480 month car payment for a 10 year old vehicle due to poor financing)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • I believe they have a cap on what they consider you should spend for your rent/mortgage, utilities, car payments, etc. They really want to know where you are spending your money and why you haven't paid your utilities. I don't know where you live, but where I do you can't even get a month behind, you're lucky that you have that buffer if there is an emergency that you can't pay.

    Answer by attap5 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • They want any and all income that has come in. Rent receipts. All bills that are needed to survive (no cable no phone, just water, light bills etc). They dont care about a car payment. They will tell you to let it go and get an inexpensive car you can afford instead. They will look at your income, amount of people in your family and determine your poverty level. From there they decide how much assistance they can afford to give. My dd had to go in and she had a $900 bill. They could only do $600 a year, so thats what she got. She had to go to other agencies for help with the other $300.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • I may be wrong but I think it varies state to state.

    Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • I work for a non profit community action agency that administers Community Services Block Grants, (Crisis Fuel, ELectrical help) and Weatherization Assistance Program. There are different guidelines for different programs....and certainly different states or counties within those states.

    For example, for a family of 4 the FEDERAL 200% of poverty number is $44,700.00

    Hope this helped.

    Answer by Eclectic_VT at 11:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • It varies from state to state and program to program. We tried getting HEAP (Heating & Energy Assistance Program) and were denied because they only allow so much for rent and car payment and don't really care how much or how many other monthly bills (credit card and loans and DAYCARE)you have. Just take everything you can and expect they will still want more. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.


    Answer by meooma at 11:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • You could go to your state's website and locate (or google for your state) assistance income guidelines and it should give you a general idea of what the "poverty" level is and that would be what they go by.

    Answer by Dahis at 11:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • We had to apply for assistance a year or 2 back with the electric bill, and they needed a copy of the lease, car payments, and they asked about all the other bills. They even allowed us to put down how much we were spending on diapers and wipes, since they are a necessity! They were very understanding, and I expect your interviewer will be as well. Good luck!

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.