Something I wondered about (regarding illegal immigration).

Let me say first off that this post is not intended to cause drama, and I hope that I'm able to word it in a way that it doesn't.

A while back, I saw a post (either on here or on Facebook), about illegal immigration, and it got me thinking about the kids of those immigrants. Then my mind started to wander, and I wondered what would happen in this scenario:

Let's say a mother (or father) and a child came to this country illegally. The other parent is already dead, and there are no other known living relatives. They live here for a few years, and then the mother is killed in a car accident. What happens to the child? Is he placed in foster care, or is he sent back to whatever country he came from? Would this be one of those situations that's dependent on several factors? Let's assume that the child is fairly young.

Again, I'm not trying to cause drama. I hope someone knows the answer to this question (or can at least make an educated guess).

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 10:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• If there are legal relatives contactable in another country that child WILL go back to the country if the relative express interest in raising the child. If the child is not wanted or relatives cannot be found AND there are no capable friends of the family who can pass a screening the child will go into foster care.

The topic of children brought here illegally by their parents is a huge debate right now.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would assume that if they couldn't find family members they would put him in foster care, just like any other child. This country does not send people back to wherever they came from as an adult, so I highly doubt that they would send a child back.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• attap, there has been adults sent back to Mexico that I know of.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You should put this question in the Politics and current events section. You would get a better response there.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• confused

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• "You should put this question in the Politics and current events section. You would get a better response there. "

Actually, vntNyll gave a very good response.

And sherribeare...I'm not quite sure I understand *your* response. Care to elaborate?
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The children that were born here stay here and are placed in foster care unless a family member from another country comes forth and claims them but they will not be 'sent' back to their parents home country willy nilly. Their parents family usually finds out along the grapevine that they are dead and claim the children but often the dont so the kids have a better chance of success in the states, even in foster care.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• And its not just Mexico. Its China, Japan, ALL the Latin America Countries, South America and India. Mexico is just an easy target since its right next door IMO (but the majority of illegals ARE mexican yes, but combined the other races of illegals almost triple the illegal mexicans)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• "The children that were born here stay here and are placed in foster care unless a family member from another country comes forth and claims them but they will not be 'sent' back to their parents home country willy nilly. "

I'm not talking about a child that was born here. I'm talking about a child born in another country and brought here illegally with his mother/father/other relative.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011