At what week should I have the father of my child come stay with me for when I go in labor.

We are not together but he wants to take me to the hos9ital.. I am now 35 weeks.

takeyla23nc

Asked by takeyla23nc at 10:52 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Its up to you but if you want him taking you then probably around 39 weeks. If you dont want him to just tell him to be ready to meet you there after 39 weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 10:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If you don't go into labor before 39 weeks, at your 39 week OBGYN visit ask them if you are dialated & how much longer they think it will be. They will have a better idea by examining you at that time. Then you can tell him around when to be ready. GL! I am 36 weeks too, & I just asked my Dr. the same question today! But I need my Mom to come stay over to watch my son. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Does he not live nearby? It is really hard to tell. A lot of first time Mom's go late. I had my first at 41 1/2 weeks. You could also go early, so that can create a pretty big window.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:02 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• He lives close enough I may could just call him then.. Do all of us get an exam at 39 weeks I know I am getting one next week at 36 weeks is that the same thing and can i ask them then if i dialated any.. My family and strangers all think i will go in labor at least two weeks early because my belly is so big
    takeyla23nc

Comment by takeyla23nc (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If he lives nearby then I wouldn't have him come and stay with you. Just give him a call when you are starting to feel contractions. Typically labor is not super fast so he should have plenty of time to make it to you. Just make sure that he is reachable. Usually after 36 weeks you go about once a week. Dilation really doesn't tell you that much. You can be dilated for a long time before actually going in to labor. I know I was for the last two months of pregnancy.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• this is way off subject lol but how did you take my last comment and add it before yours before res9onding to it
    takeyla23nc

Comment by takeyla23nc (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't have him stay with you if not needed.
    You can call him when it's Time.

No vaginal exams, no reason !
    Checking the cervix only tells you what your cervix is doing this minute, not what it will do (or not do) in 10 minutes from now or next week or next month.
    It's not an indication of when you'll labor.
    And it's a harmful unnecessary intervention-- safer to avoid getting checked.

Do you feel well supported, that you have good help?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have no hel9 at all and honestly he is not good hel9 just all I can get... I think i will end u9 just doing everything by myself. I cant afford to take care of two kids and him by myself.
    takeyla23nc

Comment by takeyla23nc (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• How much do you want him involved--
    What kind of birth experience would you like?

You have so many options...

What about a birth doula to help you out?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If he wants to be there to see baby enter the world, I would call him when you go into labor and leave it at that.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 12:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2011