Are you against the use of military/government aircraft being available for personal use?

How do you feel about military, dependents, retirees, etc utilizing military planes (whether on training, hours accumulation, or actual missions) for their personal travel?  

Space-A Travel or Department of Defense Military Space-Available Travel is a means by which uniformed members of United States services, reservists, retirees, United States Department of Defense civilian personnel (under certain circumstances), and each of these groups' dependents are permitted to travel on aircraft under the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Defense when excess capability allows.

Space available travel is a privilege that derives, in part, from United States Code, title 10, section 4744, which states, "officers and members of the Military Departments, and their families, when space is available, may be transported on vessels operated by any military transport agency of the Department of Defense". Space available travel is defined as "travel aboard DoD owned or controlled aircraft and occurs when aircraft are not fully booked with passengers traveling under orders".

It is a privilege offered to US Uniformed Services members. Retired members are given the privilege in recognition of their career and because they are eligible for recall to active duty. The criteria for extending the privilege to other categories of passengers is their support to the mission being performed by Uniformed Services members and to the enhancement of active duty Service members' quality of life.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am completely fine with it. It is not as if you go and say I want to go to point A and they put a plane in the air for you. There must already be one on its way there. That is why it is called Space Available, if it is available on a plane that already makes the trip what is wrong with filling that space with military personnel and their families. Sometimes those that are stationed overseas it is their only way of being able to afford to get back to the states to visit family. They are already making the sacrifice of not living in the same country so it seems so simple to let them utilize that space to go home and see them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It's extra space that is available, it's not like they are using anything extra. Besides, these families spend a lot of their time away from their loved one so the rest of us can be protected. I think it is the least we can do for them. And until you are in the military, you have no idea the sacrifices that that member and their family give. Civilians are under the impression that it is free food/housing and medical. Food is just under the going rate at the commisary, medical is paid for only with their doctors, and base housing is free, otherwise there is only an allowance, which most of the time does not cover it. Pays are not that great either. And they are on call 24/7. If you are on vacation you can be called back at any second, and you need to get their on your dime.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well said ladies.... These planes have to fly to accumulate hours, prepare for a mission, or perform an actual mission.. If space is available, (and people are willing to be flexible/patient) with the military process~ I say go for it!
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Thank you for posting this! I thought about doing so myself. I think it is great. It saves money, energy and it can be considered green! I think it is sort of like carpooling or running all your errands at the same time..multitasking!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I don't. It seems like a good use of resources and provides a significant benefit to those who are able to participate.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• How about weight? I know when my husband has chartered  for business, fuel is based on weight of the plane (load). More people=higher fuel costs.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If it costs no extra money, ok..I am not convinced it doesn't in some way cost us...but if it doesn't , fine

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• How about weight? I know when my husband has chartered for business, fuel is based on weight of the plane (load). More people=higher fuel costs.

In most cases, if they don't fill the space with people... They will fill with cargo. Depends on the training requirements, specifications,  mission, etc...  You haven't answered.  Are you for it?  Against it?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If there is no additional cost to taxpayers then I have no problem with it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• So a mission that was light on cargo needs could have the balance filled with these passengers at zero extra cost to the taxpayer?
    As long as there is no extra cost- It makes sense-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2011