Can i take a bottle of wine in my luggage? or will they confiscate it?

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Travel

• You run the risk of breaking, but not of confiscation (unless possibly if you are underage? I don't know. I brought back alcohol from Europe when I was 20 and had no issues, but I also could carry some of it on because it was pre-9/11).

If you don't have ridged-sided luggage, make sure you put your wine or other breakables in a rigid side container in your luggage, padded inside with foam peanuts or crumpled paper.

Bring a few sealing bags to put around liquids in your luggage - this is good practice with your shampoo and conditioner, too. Remember Ross's Bible on Friends? :-)

Unless you have a lot of room in your luggage, consider shipping the wine. It's cheaper than a second suitcase!!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I often bring a bottle of wine home from a place that I have visited. I wrap it up really well in the luggage. I have never had it confiscated or even been questioned about it.
    Wyomingmama

Answer by Wyomingmama at 11:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes, but not your carry-on. You will need to declare it if you are leaving the country, and there may be a limit set as to how much you can carry. I would wrap it in bubble wrap.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It won't be confiscated, but it could very well break. That happend to hub and I and a bottle of Rum from the Bahamas
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes you can pack it in your checked baggage. I would seal it in plastic first, then bubble wrap it, and stick it next to your clothing. Just know that the wine may not taste as good, or at the worst end be ruined in transit, as wine has to be transported every carefully, some more carefully than others.

If the wine is really expensive, I would ship it to your home and not risk it on the plane.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You can pack it in your checked baggage; hubby just did this with some specialty beer he purchased while traveling.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't risk it - and what if it broke in transit?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:09 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Don't do it. My sil brought olive oil and put in her luggage and the whole bottle decompressed and there was oil all over the clothes and luggage.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Can you have it packed in Styrofoam? I'd be afraid that it would break. Oh no, on the olive oil- what a horrible scenario.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It could, and probably will break.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011