Overweight Tweens

I posted this question under Diet and Fitness; I thought it might make sense to post it here as well -- What do you do when your child has the propensity to gain weight. She enjoys food. She's only slightly overweight now, but I'm worried that she'll have a battle with weight her entire life. My husband is overweight and I have to work out regularly to stay fit. I don't want to make eating an issue for her and of course I want her to love herself exactly the way she is. I've tried to instill healthy eating habits, etc. and a healthy lifestyle. She enjoys ice skating and skiing but doesn't really participate in any sports anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• They say the best thing you can do is model a healthy life style and healthy eating habits.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Take her with you to work out. Make it a bonding thing. See if there are any other things she's interested in trying like rock-climbing or dancing. Sign up for a membership at the YMCA....they offer all sorts of classes.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• She can only eat, what YOU buy....
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 10:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Actually, I used to think that was true -- she can only eat what I buy, but the facts are they aren't with you 24/7. I just found out that she was able to buy an ice cream sandwich at school everday and put it on her account, and though I pack her lunch everyday, I do allow her to eat the school lunch once a week. I thought the school only served healthy foods. Also, she also LOVES milk and although she only drinks skim, if she's drinking 6 glasses a day that's still almost 600 calories from milk.... YIKES...It's so difficult to find the balance of steering in the right direction and controling... I appreciate everyone's feedback -- it really does help... thanks much.
    TJOKELSO

Answer by TJOKELSO at 12:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• keep the junk food out of the house, we all love those pies,cakes.chips ect ect, but you can't buy them & keep them in the house! buy fruit, fresh or canned that's what i do, if it's not here we can't eat it :) I fix 1 dessert a week usually on sunday, after that oh well ~ take walks with her, our dd is 8 & weighs 61lbs her b/f is 9 & weighs 148 just think about that ~
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I can definitely understand your concern and they arent with us all the time so you can buy all good things, but if they want it...they will get it somewhere. My daughter is 10 1/2 and weighs 84 lbs. Thats fairly average, but I see the puberty weight starting to show. All the girls her age seem to be the same way. My daughter is a carb addict, so in addition to monitoring that, I was also packing her lunch everyday. Well, because of money cutbacks, I decided to see if we qualified for free lunch. I am not sure what the verdict is but I have been letting her eat at school and I am NOT convinced that the lunch is healthy. I don't think my kids should be eating tacos, spaghetti or chicken nuggets in the middle of the day. But then again, maybe if I cook lighter in the evenings, it will work in our favor.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• cont....I would say in addition to the above...keep your convos about it very light and minimal. Dont say anything about being worried. It makes them self conscious. I am very happy about how comfortable my dd is with her body. Another thing I do is keep them active. I have three other kids who are thin and probably won't battle weight issues, but this child will be more like me. She will just have to be careful. Shes very beautiful and shes built nicely, but has a stockier build. She plays rec basketball. I love seeing her run up and down the court knowing that shes buring those calories. She also plays rec softball. Thats not as much running, but it helps. We swim in the summer. Just keep her moving and like another post said..maybe work out with her. I would pay any price to keep my kids thin. I know what hell I went through as a tween and teen and I can't even bear the thought of my kids going through that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son is like that. He plays football in the fall, but if he isn't active other than that he packs on the pounds. He is not overweight, I dont think, but I know that genetically he is going to have to have an active lifestyle to keep it off all his life. So, I might start there. Keep her active. We bought the Wii Fit and my kids love it. It keeps rankings so if your daughter is competitive that might be a motivator. My kids will get on and exercise their lil hearts out just to beat the other brothers score/rank, lol. Other than that, definatley eating right (I am overweight and wish I had been taught that as a kid) You don't mention her age, but when they are younger it is easy to keep all the junk out of the house, then they just don't have access to it at all. I have conversations with my kids all them time (not pushy, just when the opportunity arises) about how food is fuel.
    thecatdidit

Answer by thecatdidit at 4:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• ..cont. Granted the yummy stuff is nice once in a while, but really we are supposed to eat to fuel our bodies. Over time, a long time, lol... I was able to have cookies and chips in the house again. My kids are 11 and 8. I started buying snacks a few months back and they would ask for some and I would say 'ok, but think about whether it is for fuel or for fun'. They knew that that meant to think before they ate, are they hungry? Then junk wasn't what they needed. So they would turn to fuel.. fruit or veggies for snack. If it was for fun, then they could take 2-3 cookies and be satisfied. When my 8 yr old was a lil younger he would say 'Im hungry can I have a cookie' and so I said 'if your hungry then you need a piece of fruit or something like that' so he says one day 'how do you know the difference?'
    thecatdidit

Answer by thecatdidit at 4:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont...I said 'well, if you look at the cookies and want 10 then you are hungry. If you could live with 2-3 then you just want a snack'. He seemed to get it. But my point is, I just wanted them to think before they eat. I was raised to gorge yourself on the goodies. And as an adult it is really really hard to change your eating habits. BTW... the Wii is fun for the grown ups too, lol!!! I beat my hubbys score the other day on boxing!!! It really does get the kids up off their rumps. And the Wii Fit keeps track (if you want it too, lol) of your weight on a graph. It has a lot of cool features.
    Anyway, hope this helped!!
    thecatdidit

Answer by thecatdidit at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008