How would you react?---Would you offer to help?

I was picking up my son from school on Tuesday stepped out of the car, twisted my ankle on a stone and fell skinned my knee, elbow hand and a couple fingers.

There were several other parents in their vehicles waiting to pick up their kids, but none of them offered to help and could see I was struggling to get up. I final got up and limped into the school; but was a little upset that no one even offered a hand and even said something to the office staff.

How would you have reacted? Would you have helped? Would you have said something to anyone besides the school staff?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have gotten out of my car and offered to help you. I hope you've recovered.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would have helped yes, or at least asked if you were ok. However if I had been the one falling, I wouldn't have complained about it to the school staff
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• How awful! First of all, that's embarassing which hurts enough, but NO ONE helped you? How very awful. I would have certainly helped you....I would have at the very LEAST asked if you were alright....but I likely would have helped you up and accompanied you into the school. Jeeez. I hope that you heal quickly....and in my opinion, the best way to heal the hurt from being ignored like that, is to help the nex tperson you see needing help. People are so afraid to stick their necks out and help. Sad. Very very sad.
    Marie
    Eclectic_VT

Answer by Eclectic_VT at 11:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would probably have offered you a hand but I don't think I would have mentioned anything to anyone else, staff or not. If it were me though I would have hoped that no one saw me and probably would have been more embarrassed if someone had offered help. I am the kind of person that I just want to deal with things myself and would rather not have help. I did a similar thing, with a child and baby in tow. I skinned my knee and ripped a hole in my jeans, thankfully the baby was in her car seat. I was so glad that no one saw me. I was a little worse for the wear but like I said I was glad no one helped me, I would have been mortified.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would have helped you. I probably would have fussed over you a bit. Hope you are not in any pain.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Some people are so inconsiderate.......So sorry you fell. Yes, i would try to help. I guess my thoughts are that it happens so fast, people probably would have helped if you could not have gotten up. I wouldn't mention or do anything other than like you did, which was to answer their question to explain why I was bleeding. Wishing you a speedy healing. Hugs.. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Absolutely I would have asked if you were ok and offered to help! Sometimes I don't get people.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• yes, i would have absolutely helped. I was raised to help anyone who seems in need, and i beleive in 'little acts of kindness'. try not to be bitter about it, but maybe if the other parents see you being kind and giving kindness, they can learn better habits from you (becasue it sounds like they need to).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I had to crawl back over to my car to get up my elbow is black and blue and my ankle and wrist are still hurting I only mentioned it to the office staff that I had fallen because my finger and palm of my hand were bleeding and they asked what happened.
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011