My son is afraid of the water!!!! Help!!

My son just turned a year old. I have never been able to give him a decent bath because he is scared to death of the water and has been since he was born! I usually just give him a spong bath during the week and then a real bath on saturday or sunday. He cried during the sponge bath and screams bloody murder when he gets a real bath. I do not have water running during the baths so it is not the noise. Also the water is not too hot. I sing him songs and put toys in the tub with him. He grabs my arm so tight that he sometimes leaves marks. Please help. I cannot hardly hold him in the tub anymore and it will get worse as he gets bigger. I need to fix this now! Any ideas?>

MommysAngels810

Asked by MommysAngels810 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• uggh i have noooo idea- my 5 yr old is still upset when water goes over her face.flips out. and and my son hates to be splashed or have water in his face...
    so i have no idea.
    in our house we just wash em' if they start to cry we try to calm them down but if they dont want to then so be it. its just water. there fine in the pool but baths are like torture.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:44 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Wow, makes you wonder if there really are past lives ....

Other than that, just keep trying to acclimate him to bathing.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Have you tried getting in the tub with him? My now 10 month old was terrified and that's how I helped her get used to it - we just took baths together for a while until she got over it.

Answer by missanc at 11:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes I have tried that. For the most part he is just plain scared of the bathroom. I have to take a shower when he takes a nap or he screams and shakes the whole time! I have a little blowup tub and I moved it to the kitchen thinking that would be better but now he just screams when he sees the tub! I'm at my wits end. I don't even want to bath him anymore! It's stressful for him, me and my 3 yr old!
    MommysAngels810

Comment by MommysAngels810 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my DD did this at 1yo so i started giving her showers or baths in the sink in front of the mirror. she got over it in a few months, i think it was more of a power struggle than anything
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 11:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well, I wish I knew what to do to keep him calm. Well, it's bath time now! I'm glad I don't live in an apartment!! Lol! Thanks ladies!
    MommysAngels810

Comment by MommysAngels810 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My daughter loves being in the tub maybe you should try that and put his fav toys inside to play with and maybe he will like it then and wont freak out but my daughter does that when its time to wash her hair but shes getting better now because I sing to her while i do it
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I always have toys in there for him and try to take things slow. Let him get comfortable being in the bathroom or close to the baby tub. And then drip water on his arms for a while before I even put him in the tub. It's just weird.
    MommysAngels810

Comment by MommysAngels810 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My DD is 15 mos and I still use the baby tub, fill it out with some bubble soap and toys in it. She sits and play while I scrub her and then rinse her.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 8:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2011