My 7 month old (who was 5 weeks premature) is not sitting - or even rolling over - should I worry?

(His twin sister is doing both)

Philippa862

Asked by Philippa862 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No way. They all develop at different ages. One of my little ones did not sit up until almost a year. If they are pudgy than rolling over is a lot harder than it seems. Your little one will get to it in due time. If you are concerned mention it to the pediatrician and see what they say.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Nope. Children develop differently even with all things being equal, and your baby is at a slight disadvantage to begin with. So I do not think you should be at all concerned.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My dd was 5 wks premature as well and she didn't do anything until she hit 6 mths. I was worried too but it was like night and day when she hit 6 mths she suddenly was completely up to her milestones and has been doing great ever since. If you are concerned though I would bring it to the pediatricians attention. Their advice will probably be to work with the baby a few times a day on doing exercise to help him. GL
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't worry... every baby is different so try not to compare milestones to his sister.... also keep in mind that his corrected age is only 6 months (or 5 months if he's just turned 7 months) so he's still withing a perfectly acceptable age for NOT doing those things.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My sons were five weeks premature as well, and it is okay, that your child isn't doing everything at the same speed as a child born on time. All we can do is work with our child(ren).
    ajmcheath

Answer by ajmcheath at 8:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Don't worry. Every kid is unique. I think as parents we have this sense of competition, especially when it comes to milestones. My best friend's little girl is a month younger than my DS. Yet DS is almost walking (11 months) and my friend's DD just barely learned to roll around. Then again, she has 3 older siblings that carry her all over the place... Kids will do what they need to, when they want to. As long as there are no physical indicators of a problem, don't worry. Talk it over with the pediatrician and he'll probably tell you the same thing.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 3:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011