Tummy Troubles = Doc Troubles :-(

My little guy (8 yrs old) is having pains in his stomach. So bad that we were in the ER last week. They did a CAT scan the Radiologist didn't like what he saw (thickening of the walls and issues with intestines...there was a 3rd part, but my head is still spinning) so they sent us to Children's Hospital to see a specialist(the pain was so bad they put him on Morphine).

At Children's (we spent 2 days) his blood work came back in normal ranges and the Radiologist there said they thought the scan looked fine. Dismissed as a virus & never let us see a specialist. He never had a fever. He never had diarrhea. He only vomited from the pain(they would not listen to me about the vomiting). 9 days later we are back at our Pediatrician. He is reading the report and saying things aren't right Children's should have run some additional tests. There is no way things should be considered "fine" without additional tests. The report is over 10 pages long.

While I know he got better care at Children's from the nursing staff then my community hospital, I feel the Docs missed the boat. I as a parent should have pushed for more test. Hind sight is 20/20 I should have asked for another opinion on the CAT scan and went for the best 2 out of 3.

BUT when caring for a sick child how do you have time to dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" ? I feel a bit bullied by the hospitals one that didn't know what do with my sick child. The other that felt he wasn't sick enough. Who is supposed to help the parents? How do you pick the "right" hospital to take your kids to when their sick?

How sad that Doctors can't/wont listen to parents. They all would ask me that same questions every time they came into his room, but they never listened to me. Why is that?

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 11:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is the Peds going to order more tests?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• IMO, I would feel as though the children's hospital didn't do their job. There was something at your hospital that the doctors didn't like... And now the pediatrician too... I would ask your ped. To set up another appointment with a specialist and
    Ush for it. Good luck mama!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes, he is. He is consulting with the Radiologist from both hospitals to see what direction to take testing....Scans, MRI Scopes
    sipn_mom

Comment by sipn_mom (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2011