Pit bull mamas..... advice please!!!!!!!!

We have a Apbt pup who will be a year in 2 days and just got another pit pup.... Sadie the older one is very gentle with the puppy but the puppy seems to be very rough with her... her tail always looks like its wagging but she is growling and barking and stuff which kind of sounds like all play but its hard to tell... have any of you introduced a pup and had this happen... Sadie does seem to play a little harder when the pup starts to play even harder... i always watch them just incase one gets upset..... also i know my son should not pick up the pup but when he does the pup growls and snips...do you think thats because its uncomfortable.... any advice would help...and we are working on teaching the kiddo to leave the dog on the floor... i hope its just puppy play and what not but would like to see what you have to say and what i can do about it. thanks

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 11:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pets

• she may be testing boundaries, it's gonna take the older dog snapping at her for her to realize who is boss
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The younger dog is trying to establish dominance.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree that the pup is testing boundaries. Sadie may have to give her the attitude adjustment she needs - it's dogs' way of establishing pack hierarchy. Now with your child - YOU HAVE TO TEACH THE DOG NOW THAT IT IS LOWER IN HIERARCHY THAN THE CHILD.
    You DO NOT want a Pitt (or any dog) establishing dominance over your child. I would start by teaching the child (and the dog) that the child is in charge of the food, the child goes out the door before the dog, the child comes in the door before the dog, the child is favored over the dog.

I brought a Rottweiler pup into a situation with a 3 & 5 year old - Myra (125 lbs at 1 yr old) would eat an intruder up - but in all her 14 years she never ONCE snarled, showed teeth, laid-ears-back or even remotely postured at either of my children. And I accomplished that by teaching them how to be her leader and not treat her like a toy.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011