Holding a child back

I am wondering if anyone knows if a school can flunk a child if they are not failing their classes? The school my child is in wants to keep him back but he has not ever even made an F! I'm not sure what the deal is but I know he is devastated because he works so hard and now they are doing this. If anybody has any info on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know that at out school if a child is really struggling educationally and emotionally to keep up with their class they will talk to the parent about holding them back. It rarely happens and usually the parents agree that it needs to be done. Have they talked to you and explained why they think it's what is best for your son?
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would have a meeting with the teachers and the principle of the school to get to the bottom of WHY they want to keep him back. Maybe if they ahd some good reasons you might be able to understand it better. Maybe he needs some more social maturity. Sometimes that can play a roll and it may even help in the end. I think its something that you and the teachers and principle should talk about and agree upon though. If they are leaving you in the dark and not telling you why they want to keep him back you should try to find out.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They can suggest holding back for other things than grades. Dont take it personally and do what is right for the child.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 2:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think they can suggest it but not demand it.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 4:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I personally would have a meeting with the school.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My son had a November birthday, so he was almost 7 when he started 1st grade. They told me at the end of the year that he was not really reading well, and that was not uncommon with boys. We held him back, and he did well from then on. They do need to talk to you though.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• There can be other reasons for being held back. Did they give you a reason? Maybe they don't think he is mature enough to be in the group. Maybe he is struggling and at the lower end of the other students, and they think another year could be beneficial. Either way, I would weigh the pros and cons before getting upset. Figure out whats best for your child.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes. They can suggest a child be held back, and usually if the child appears to be 'passing' it can reasons other then academic. I suggest a meeting where you can fully discuss what is going on.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I know at our school, some kids got held back in the early grades because they didn't think they were mature enough to move onto the next grade.
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 3:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2011