The dentist wants to put him under to work on his teeth!

my 9yr/o has to have some work on a few of his back teeth and the dentist wants to put him under. I'm not so sure its a good idea. I'm a bit scared.
Is it a bad idea and if you had a child who has had this done is it really all that bad?

EvansMommy31605

Asked by EvansMommy31605 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• They do this because younger kids can react badly while the dentist is trying to work on their teeth. Most of the time they just sedate them. You could always ask them if they could try to do the work without putting him under and see how he does. If he gets upset or reacts badly to it then they could reschedule to put him under or sedate him. My nephew who is 3 just had 2 cavities filled with no pain meds no sedation so, depending on what they need to do, your son might be just fine and may allow them to get it done. Good luck!!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I am a former dental assistant and if my kids dentist suggested putting them under i would be ok with it. This way they can do all the work that needs to be done, and don't have to worry about the child moving around, or being able to stay open that long, or being uncomfortable....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It's easier for the dentist do do all the work while your child is under. My seven year old twin boys both needed their front teeth pulled, one twin needed three fillings and the other twin needed two crowns on his back teeth. I was scared and did not like the idea that they were going to be given a medicine equivalent to Valium so they would be relaxed during their treatments. One twin slept through the whole procedure the other twin was awake. Both boys were treated to frozen yogurt and I was happy the procedure was over.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My five year old, went under to have his teeth worked on, it was the only way it could be done. His body did not respond to the medicine that they gave him in the office, so it was the only option. i was scared at first but i know our dentist very well and my son was very brave, and his teeth are looking great.
    allysmom3

Answer by allysmom3 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sedation dentistry is a wonderful option... In fact, it is the ONLY way that my sister's children can have work done because of their irrational fears and horrid outbursts.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Oh, I'll add that I am going to have to have a wisdom tooth removed and will opt for sedation rather than simply local anesthetic.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The doctor said he didn't want him to be scared of the dentist at such a young age. :(
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011