IVF and religion...

Those of spiritual backgrounds... Do you think IVF is playing God?? do you think if it was meant to be it would just happen on its own, and since it is not happening you are just not meant to have more children or any children??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• in reference to "sabrinambowen" remark about you should adopt a needy child instead of IVF . First of all, the woman obviously wants the awesome experience of creating a child inside her own body also,,are you denying her that because other people had children that they didn't want so it's up to someone else to do without the experience of making & creating a part of their own genes (etc) themselves to make up for mistakes other's have made.?? That's just wrong. I don't have any problems with IVF, the egg needs fertilized and it's a mechanical way of doing it. It's just a different way for the sperm to get to the egg. I'm not an expert but I just don't see a problem. Instead of saying that people who can't get pregnant, shouldn't have IVF but should adopt is taking away a womans' right to have a baby with her own body..
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't think it's playing God anymore than other medical procedures. I think each person has to decide for themselves. If it were me and I decided to use IVF I'd limit the number of embryos that were frozen because I would get attached to the fact that these are potential babies that I'm responsible for.  For me I would want to eventually implant them all and give them a chance at life.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• IVF is not playing God.I really hate that theory that "if it s meant to happen,it will...and if it doesn't then you weren't supposed to..."etc. Really lame and a lazy way to think and to live.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• IVF is not playing God. It is not guarateed to result in a pregnancy. Maybe God does have a hand in it after all! You know it is true when they say "God helps those that help themselves". After all, if it does work, it results in a miracle! Another of Gods children. Maybe God let man discover this procedure to ensure more loving spirits on earth! It worked for me & now I have an Angel of my own.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I don't have any religious objections to IVF. My objections are simply on a moral level. To me, fate wouldn't let anyone who was meant not to have children, have them, IVF or not. But I simply don't agree with anyone TTC, on any level. There are simply to many children out there who need homes to actively try to have your own. I don't take issues with those who get pregnant or anything. But I feel if you are choosing to have children, you should consider those in need first. And frankly, if you can afford IVF, you can afford to adopt!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I do think it is playing God.....but I don't believe in fate, so the second part of your question I would have to answer no. My problem with in vitro is that a lot of embryos are made and can be frozen, etc......I believe those embryos to be tiny human beings with souls.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm very curious of the responses to this one. I've heard many religious people decry gay parenting as "unnatural" and to me there is no difference between those 2 scenarios.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 12:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think IVF is messing with Mother Nature, not necessarily God. I think often there is a reason, genetic or physical why 2 individuals are unable to procreate together. It may not been seen in this generation, but I think it has implications that aren't considered
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Ive been talking to my Pastors Wife and she basically told me that God gave us a body to reproduce so why would he not want us to repoduce? she said that sin came into the earth and because of that we have to deal with sickness and imperfections in our bodies and that this was not Gods will for us. God created us to be furitful and mutiply, spiritually and physically. and that it is unfortinute that people do not understand that physical limitations do not come from God but they come from satan and that we need to learn to resist those limition rather than acceping them. She completely put me at ease with my desision!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Ditto RyansMom001. IVF is a tool like any other type of medical intervention and can be used responsibly and irresponsibly. Until the day that a character defines fertility, I have no trouble with couples using IVF. On a personal note, I'd only be comfortable creating embryos that I would immediately implant.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011