How can i stop my daughter from pulling her hair or hitting herself?

when i tell my one yr old NO she throws a fit..she will pull her hair till she crys or hit herself in her head...what should i do? is this normal?

proudteenmom13

Asked by proudteenmom13 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal, and 1-year-olds are generally not capable of hurting themselves badly. This stage shouldn't last long.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Figure out what is stressing her out or making her lash out like this and fix it
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• @ SWasson I don't think its normal neither of my kids ever did this and I've never seen any other kid do it either
    myownhappiness

• sounds to me your daughter is having a temper tantrum. Just walk away from her and pay no attention to her behavior. She is trying to get a reaction from you. If she realizes that she is getting no attention while she is having a tantrum she will stop.  My daughter would hold her breath, her eyes would roll back and she would pass out for a second or two.  I took her to the doctors because I was terrified she was having a seizure or something.  The pediatrician smiled asked what happened before I told her my daughter was mad we left the park.  The doctor told me to pay no  attention just walk away.  (as long as you know she will be safe).  Once I started to pay no attention she stopped!  I needed a professional to tell me my daughter was having a temper tantrum LOL

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My DD did this for a short period of time when she was angry or didn't get her way. I just explained to her that we do not hit anyone, self included. Since 1 year-olds may not understand that, I would just hold her hands (gently) and shake head saying "no-hitting." Children that age have so much going on and they do not know how to express themselves -- she is doing the only thing she knows to do. Think about anything that may have happened before the outburst -- Good luck mom, this will pass!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• And oh yea, my DD also used to hold her breath until she passed out when she was angry -- this scared the hell outta me! Come to find out, it was only a TANTRUM! UGH! This phase passed after about 3 months.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It's totally normal. Just ignore her and walk away. She's dealing with a flood of emotions and doesn't have enough words to say "I'm so pissed off that you took that knife away from me!" So let her deal in her own way & she'll probably come to you for cuddles once it's over.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• And don't listen to myownhappiness - She obviously lives on Mars since she's never seen a kid throw a tantrum. I just didn't know Martians were allowed on CM. Maybe it really stands for Cafe Martian!   jaw drop

ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• At first i was going to suggest that this could be a symptom of a parasite infection, but people usually flip out when i mention this. It is much more common than you think. Pinworm is extremely common amongst kids this age. Here is the CDC info about it http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/pinworm/. Our homeopathic doctor told us that the hitting and throwing things and angry outbursts are a telltale sign of pinworm infection. We treated out son homeopathically, but he is re-exposed frequently by being around kids the same age, so we keep the remedy on hand. If your daughter has an itchy or sore anus, this is another sign. If you notice that the symptoms get worse or that she tends to have cold or GI symptoms around the time of the new and full moon, this is another sign of parasite infection.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My other suggestion is to help her find appropriate ways to express anger. Telling her not to be angry is unreasonable. We all get angry and little kids (my son being one of them) may have great difficulty finding a way to get it all out in a socially acceptable manner, especially since expressing anger IS inherently socially unacceptable. Create a safe place for her to go when she is mad and don't treat it like a punishment, but more like a refuge. For some kids it might be their bedroom. Some others might do better where they can see you, like a designated sitting area with soothing objects.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011