Sippy Cups

When do you think that a child should no longer be using a sippy cup? We use cups at all meals when we are sitting at the table. Our toddler is not allowed drinks in bed but in between meals I allow he to use them, or in the car. Just too many spills and messes.

We have carpet throughout so we try to make them sit at the table when drinking from a regular cup otherwise my toddler uses a sippy cup, I have no problems with it because the majority of the time he is drinking from a cup with a straw or just a regular cup.  I was wondering what you other moms do and what age did your child stop using a sippy cup altogether?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our dentist said she should be off of them before 2 so we did and her teeth went back to normal. They were pulling forward because of the sippy cup. She does just fine with the open cup. But I don't let my kids walk around the house with it either. I give it to them they take a drink then take it to the table and set it down until they get thirsty again
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If you're going to allow them to carry drinks around, it seems like a reasonable compromise to have them use some kind of splash-resistant cup. Are they using nipple-style sippies? You should probably get them away from that type (bad for teeth,) and switch to straw-style cups, or travel-mug style ones. Or, ignore your pediatrician about this, because none of your kids will become a mass-murderer because of it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011