How do you tell your children?

that you will be moving but don't know when or where? They are 9 and 4

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• At that age I wouldn't tell them until I knew more information. When you know where, see if you can get some state travel information and show your kids the cool things they are moving toward. If the move is exciting and an adventure it will go much more smoothly. Also, if they are sad about leaving friends behind, make sure you exchange addresses and let them still communicate as pen pals. When I moved as a kid my mom gave my best friend a roll of stamps and a nice stationary set. We were pen pals for years. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would not tell them until I knew when and where. Children tend to worry about an unknown future, so I would just hold off on telling them until there were some very definite plans.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would definitely hold off until you have concrete answers for them.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I told Max when we put the for sale sign up in our house and had to leave for showings but not before that. We have a closing date of July 29th now and are still looking for a house to live in but he knows that he will get to bring all his toys in his new house and get to pick the color of walls he wants for his room ( which was pink and purple diamonds at the time lol ) We did take him out once looking for a house so he could semi-understand the process.. I think it will be hard for him once it really happens though - he doesn't do well at changes or transitions so we try to over talk about it to help ease his reactions. :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• God Bless you! I would wait until you know more.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would just give them an idea of a move was coming up. We are military and know that we are going to be moving soon but do not always know to where. So I just give them a head up ahead of time so they can start to prepare themselves mentally. Then when we find out they know that they will know. With out last move we had about a two week window where we knew where we were going and exactly when. I don't think it is fair to just spring that on them. We were so lucky to have been stationed in the same place for their whole lives so it is a lot for them to take in in two weeks.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• no God hasn't blessed us or we wouldn't be going through this situation. 

Maybe it doesn't feel like a blessing right now but maybe oneday it will be. God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes bad things happen so good things can find their way into our lives. The things that we were to blind, busy, or stubborn  to see before. Hang in there. And try to think positive. Your kids will know soon enough but until then don't bother children with adult issues. Let them be kids

myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 9:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• don't until you know when and where lol
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• no God hasn't blessed us or we wouldn't be going through this situation. We have tried our hardest with working with the bank and everything and they claim they sent us papers which we never received(I am a SAHM so am here all day) and they are saying since my husband hasn't bothered to send them back that they are starting the foreclosure proceedings
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011