Can anyone give me an opinion? i really starting to think my son has autism

hes 20 months old and hes not saying a word .. and other symptoms .. although we do have good eye contact sometime he does babble .. doesnt respond to name very well or maybe its selective hearing ... he takes his cars and trucks turns them upside down and spins the wheels and he takes potcovers and spins them too.... he smiles at things hubby and i do to him ... my dh plays rough with him at times like throw him in the air and my son laughs very hard at that .. soo idk ... hes definitely behind on is age development milestones ...he does cuddle wth us but only if its in bed or sometimes ill go in his room and watch a movie with him and he sometimes sits in my lap on the ground .... well those are all the things i can think of right if you have questions just ask... if i do get him evaluated and he does have it when he gets old will he have to go to a special school or something .. i dont know very much about this.. thanks for any advise

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 20 months is still a bit young, but you're right to watch for signs. When he's interested in something, does he point? For example, if he sees an airplane, will he point to it & make sure you see it too?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Go to your pediatician and ask to have him evaluated by a developmental specialist. If he does have a problem, they will teach you what you need to know.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• no he doesnt point or know how to somtimes he takes his hand to show but doesnt specifically point
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'd start bringing it up with your ped. Autism is generally diagnosed between 2-3, so maybe you can tell him your concerns and have an assessment done.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• btw i do have adhd pretty bad and my mom and brothers do too .. and my husband had it
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have adaughter with autism. You can see if your county has a disabilities dept who can direct you for evaluation. If he does have an issue, earlier is better and you're doing the right thing not to blow it off. If you pediatrician ignores or brushes off your concerns, keep going... find another doctor... until you feel certain.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• There is no harm in getting a free developmental evaluation done by early intervention in your area. They won't generally diagnose autism under the age of 2, but they will check for developmental delays - and if there are any, it's so important to catch it early. My oldest has autism and I was floored when I heard the diagnosis. He's very snuggly and always has been, very happy, and loves to interact with people - just doesn't always understand the appropriate way to do that.
    My son goes to the regular public school, but is in a special class with other students with autism. There is a much higher teacher:child ratio (right now there are 4 teachers, 8 students) and the students work at their own pace on academics, some are on grade level, others are not.

Answer by missanc at 1:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• why should i try figuring it out early? can they fix autism?
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• There is not a cure for autism BUT early interevntion is key. The earlier they diagnose it the better off your child will be. Like these other moms have said just bring it up with your ped. and ask about getting a screening done.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 6:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011