How potentially dangerous is a one-time synthetic fertilizer application to our lawn to our 7 month old baby?

Our landlord applied a synthetic fertilizer to our front and back lawns without our knowledge or consent. Now I am totally paranoid about letting our 7 month old play outside, and also about our dog tracking it into our home on her feet and fur (also petting her, and Baby loves to open-mouth kiss her on her fur!) Any ideas on how dangerous this actually is, or ways we can protect ourselves?? Much gratitude...

newearthling

Asked by newearthling at 12:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Health

• Usually it's only a problem for 24 hours.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They recommend staying off it for 24 hours after spraying......but I wouldn't want it on my lawn either. Perhaps ask the landlord to use the natural version in the future or just not at all because of the kids!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It was not a spray, it is the little pellets. The company claims it takes 2 weeks to become fully active, then acts for 4-6 weeks. It was applied 3 days ago and the pellets are still there, in spite of rain =(
    newearthling

Comment by newearthling (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would wait a few weeks before I let the dog or the baby on it. It's even worse if it had bug control in the fertilizer. My DH uses the granular fertilizer without the bug control & I wait a few weeks & after a few heavy rains to let my Son play on it. Lets face it, it's poison so avoid it for a while. Where I live, if you have a professional company spray your trees or lawn with bug control, you need an OK from the neighbors on either side of you because of the toxicity of it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011