Easy houseplants that will survive with infrequent watering?

Help! My house is in a heavily wooded lot and has no Northern or Southern-facing windows I can put plants in, so I'm looking for things that are happy in low light.

I am allergic to mums so can't have those, and it seems like every plant I get it is either in the wrong light or one of us forgets to water it, etc, so I am looking for some plants that don't recommend alot of attention and can survive in any place I put them.

My kitchen, dining room and living room face the west and that would be where they would be located at. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• How about a Peace Lily(Spathiphyllum)? They are low light plants, but they will droop if you don't water them. You could always put in a water globe, though. That's what my MIL does. Chinese evergreens are the same. You could also go with a Philodendron or Epipremnum aureum(Golden Pothos)- those are low light, but you have to water them every once in a while. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• In my experience pothos can survive just about anything. I also found african violets to be pretty easy until the cat got to it.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i think those bamboo plants that look like a stick would work i think all you gotta do is change the water when you think its old. I'm not entirely sure if you can have tiger lily's in the house, they dont require much attention but are tough plants. i'm thinking a cactus but i dont know much about them.bulbs work like elephant ears. i'm one of those people who doesnt have a green thumb so i tend to look for plants that take low or no maitnence on my part.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I also agree with cactus. I had an agave cactus for a long time and I only had to water it like every 2 weeks...it was so big until my husband drowned it....:( The one time he waters it and boom....dead.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Snake Plant,Peace Lily,Orchids.Cacti
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• lol, I am so good at killing plants. So I want to follow this question for ideas too. I also have a dark house
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• aloe and other succulents
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You should try buying some Spider Ivy. It makes the most oxygen of any houseplant, it's insanely cheap to buy, and easy to care for. But it is poisonous to cats. Here's a link:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/spider-plant.html

Good luck!

dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have a peacelilly in the living room that doesn't require much light or water...Also a burro's tail will do well...
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011