Recently my 18mo.old has been banging her head on the floor it seems out of frustration is this common among children this age?

catherine197118

Asked by catherine197118 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It was for my son.!~ He didn't want to hit and at this age its very hard to understand their own emotions so they just do it ... then once he started, he kinda like the sound, it was a short phase for him though.. I'd say a month? then he started hitting the floor when he got upset.. its easier later like now for us at 3-1/2 he can tell us why he's upset, sometimes still wants to hit the floor or wall when he's really mad but I think that's pretty common when you get really upset, My sister thinks I should let him punch a pillow when he gets upset to let out all his frusrtation but I haven't yet
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my daughter used to bang her head or hit herself in her head when she got mad. her doctor said to just ignore it and after a little while she would realize she wasnt getting any attention and it hurt and stop. She grew out of it after a couple months.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• yess...! my daughter did it. i would just let her throw her fit. she would do it hurt herself. she learned after a week or so hey im still not getting my way so why hurt myself and stopped. she still sometimes right before nap time tries to. her new thing is now biting. if you have any tips on that one let me know pleasee!! lol
    lovemybabies923

Answer by lovemybabies923 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my son is 18 months and when he is told no or gets mad he will hit himself in the head. im actually glad to see that other kids do this to i wasnt sure if it was normal. he will also try and throw or break things when he is mad.
    price85

Answer by price85 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2011