How would you handle a neighbor/tenant looking at porn on their front porch? (please read details)

So the layout of the houses are odd around here. I technically live on the corner of two streets but my house is pretty much hidden from view by the road - however my backyard connects with the house behind mine which is on another street (a dead end street) and that house belongs to my aunt. My cousin and his fiancee also live at my aunt's house with their 5 year old son, I also have a 10 year old cousin, and my other cousin's 11 year old son also lives there with my aunt. The boys often play with my daughters; ages 6 and 5. It's common for them to run between houses and visit another neighbor who lives on my aunt's street who has a 4 year old son.

My aunt's house has an apartment below it. The apartment has a porch out front, the guy who lives there has his 3 year old son on weekends and during some days of the week. My 6 year old DD went up to the porch because she was looking for her sister, she then came home and told me that he was sitting on his porch looking at "inappropriate magazines" - I asked her if the magazines had naked women and she said yes. She said he tried to cover them up but she still saw what they were and came running home. I'm concerned because for one I don't think its normal to be looking at porn while sitting on your front porch, and for two there are plenty enough kids who run around here that he should have known one of them could show up and see what he was looking at. The boys especially often ride their bikes through the front there to turn around when they're riding up and down the street. It further creeped me out that he was later inside the apartment and my aunt saw him come out and grab the magazines so he left them out there unattended.

My aunt wants to say something to him - well what she really wants is to punch him in the face but that's really for a lot of reasons (he's a crappy tenant and lets his kid do whatever he wants which includes hitting my aunt's car with sticks and being mean to the other kids). None of us seem to know exactly how to bring this up to him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Personally, I don't see a problem with it. Now if he were slapping the salami on his porch, then I'd say something.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• His house..his choice. He can do what he wants on his property.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Your aunt is his landlady......she has EVERY right to confront him about the mags outside........controlling his kid is another story. Good luck!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• What a creep! He is yucky and mean but not breaking any laws. It wouldn't hurt for someone to talk to him about keeping that poop inside. Perhaps next time you see him doing that outside, call a cop to come talk to him. ick
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If I were your aunt I would let him know that pornography was not allowed outside.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It sounds like this man was trying to be discreet with his magazine by trying to cover the pictures when your children went by. I would not want my child exposed to that either. I would tell my children to stay away from his porch.  When his son is mean to the other children I would talk to him about that behavior when it occurs.  Good luck!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• A landlady cannot tell someone that they can't read a magazine outside.. thats outrageous.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• personally i would have went over there the min my dd came home and told me bout that..yes he did try and cover it but but still he shouldnt b doing that outside even jst looking..i prob would have calld the police too..and as far as him not controlling his kids well thats his own right to do something or not to but for them to b damageing your aunts car sorry but thats still a crime and something should be said too..sorry but if no one says anything to him about this or anthing its your own fault im not trying to bash but you cant b a bystander and expect things to change or b done about it
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I don't think she really has the right to say anything to him about the magazines. He was discreet when your little one went up and as she said tried to hide them. I would let your little ones know not to go up on the porch anymore.

As far as his kids go she can't say much there either but if they were hitting my car with sticks the guy would certainly get an earful.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Who's to say for sure he was looking at a porn magazine? You asked your dd if the magazine had naked women and your dd said yes but she said he tried to cover them up. #1, car magazines sometimes have scanty women in their magazines and if he tried to cover them up, how much of the magazine did she really see? When talking with kids about certain things, yo have to be careful. Secondly, he was sitting on his porch, regardless if he's renting or if he ownd the property, he was sitting on his porch, minding his own business, reading a magazine. He didn't invite your dd over and #2, why would she look for her sister at his house, if his son wasn't there? #3, like I mentioned before, he was sitting on his porch, reading his own magazine, and atleast he had the decency to try and cover up the magazine so your dd couldn't see what he was reading or looking at. As a parent, I understand your concern but it theres' 2 sides to a story.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011