What do you think of Obama's favorability rating among military personnel and retirees?

U.S. Military Personnel, Veterans Give Obama Lower Marks

PRINCETON, NJ -- U.S. military veterans and those currently on active military duty are less likely to approve of President Obama's job performance than are Americans of comparable ages who are not in the military.

Americans who currently serve or previously served in the U.S. military are less likely to approve of the job President Obama is doing than are those who have not served in the military, by about 10 percentage points.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly, I think that the majority of those that are military types come from a right wing upbringing. That's not good and that's not bad, but I'm guessing it would definitely affect the numbers.
    Anonymous

• I imagine it has something to do with Obama taking credit for the take down of Bin Laden.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Sounds about right to me. I do not necessarily agree with anon but I wouldn't say that Obama has been the military's best advocate. I also don't think that it has anything to do with Bin Laden it is just the lack of feeling that he is not watching out for us and our families best interest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Anon, that may be the case.. But Obama had higher approval ratings in 2009 from military personnel... I think scout_mom may be on to something. As well as his decision to use military pay as a political pawn...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think that disapproval would be about the same for family members/spouses as well.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• At what point did Obama take credit for Bin Laden?
    Anonymous

• Curious, if the mission went awry, would you blame the guys or Obama?
    Anonymous

• And certainly the pay has a lot do with it. Not only the whole budget fiasco but also low pay raises.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well, I can't imagine why! It isn't like he was willing to throw the military under the fiscal bus! People aren't stupid, when you start threatening to withhold their pay they sit up and take notice............ESPECIALLY when they are deployed to a war zone. BO added fuel to the fire by taking too much credit for bin Laden. Add some more with the failure to make the war fightable..well what do you expect?

We recently went to a state military ball. It is the first ball I have ever attended where toasts to the president were not offered. This spoke volumes to me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We recently went to a state military ball. It is the first ball I have ever attended where toasts to the president were not offered. This spoke volumes to me.

It's interesting you say that... We endured a similar situation during a function here, too... I also know of a recent FRG meeting where when Obama's name was mentioned there were loud sighs and boos.... Speaks volumes, indeed...  I know our expereinces don't represent the majority...  But it does add some interesting observation to this poll...

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011