How often??

How often you play with your kids.I mean to say that how many times you with your kids in day.My 6yrs old twins wants me to play with them all the time.I spend all day with them but they still want mommy to play and i have 1yrs old son too. I think i spend enough time with them.Why they can't get it.I have set time playtime with them and we probably have hundred toys .They just don't play with toys.Any advice to teach them about selfPlay.I have tried pretty much everything.

kiran595

Asked by kiran595 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I interact with my little ones all day long. Usually we take time to read individually and sometimes play games but other than that I would not say I really play with them. Every so often we pull out a craft, such as painting or coloring and we color together but it is not an every day thing. I would just set certain time for them to be in their rooms to play by themselves or with each other.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The older they get, the less I'm involved. Still, at almost 9 and 6 1/2, we play together plenty. It's ok to give them a direction to go into. Something like "Right now I have to start dinner, why don't you get some paper out and create menus for everyone so we can play restaurant! I'll tell you what I'm making and what our choices for drinks are. You can make pictures or sound out the words" Or something like, "I have to check my email for a moment. How about you get the Legos out and make me the best house you know how to make..." more often than not they get wrapped up in Legos on their own and forget about needing my assistance. Other times, I'm down in the thick of it with them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• All day
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 2:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I play with them all the time! Now that they are a little older alot of time we play cards, board games, Wii, go outside a play basketball, baseball, etc..... DH and I both do this with them.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Pretty much all day.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 4:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• All day long and it does get exhausting.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• All day. It's tiring at times
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 6:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My 4 y/o would like to have me play with her all the time, but I can't. She is my great granddaughter, and I cannot be as active as she would like. However, I must say when I was a child, my mother rarely played with me, and my father never. We played with other kids, or learned to entertain ourselves. I do things with her when I can, and make sure she is involved in activities, but I have housework, cooking, and laundry to do. And I don't come back and check answers, so feel free to give me thumbs down.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• A lot yet it never feels like enough.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 7:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I play with them quite a bit, but I also want them to learn independence, or how to entertain themselves. Most of the time when I'm not playing with them, it's because I'm cleaning, working on something, or it's "quiet time". My children are slowly learning that they need to be able to entertain themselves sometimes.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011