With all this talk about drug tests I've been wondering.....

When a drug test is done does it only check for illegal drugs?? It seems these days the most common drug being abused are prescription drugs. Is there any way to test for prescription drug abuse? For people who are taking drugs that aren't prescribed to them??

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it shows up whatever your looking for, if you suspected of taking heroin ect it will show up, if your suspected of abusing prescription drugs it will show up, I think!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 12:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Most of the tests show the type of drug.....like opiates or THC.........it should show up so I would imagine you would have to prove you have a script for them????
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It will specify what drugs are in your system
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It shows prescription drugs too. I had to prove I had a prescription for vicodin for a drug test I took shortly after a badly sprained ankle.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes before you take the test they will ask you to list all of the medications you are taking. If there are narcotics they will show up in the test so you would need to have a script.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 1:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It depends on the reason that the person is being tested, but most check for commonly abused proscription drugs too.
    fritobaby04

Answer by fritobaby04 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011