Writing date: Is this acceptable?

I always thought that standard way to write a date is;
06/02/2011

or

June 2, 2011.

My daughter's teacher writes (and makes children to write) a date as
06-02-2011 or 02-06-2011 (European style), by now my daughter is pretty confused about writing the date. I insisted that even in school she will write the standard way. The teacher says nothing, but writes it her way.

Today my daughter's turn was to write a date in the blackboard and she wrote it with the slash, none of the children in the class recognized this way and laughed at her.

This is the last week, i don't know what to do. The teacher got visibly upset for my daughter doing that.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think that there is anything wrong with writing the date the way that her teacher does. My little ones has had two teachers this year and has some things confused. I have just talked with her and let her know that she has to do things a certain way in her new class. It is just adapting. I don't think you should do anything just let her know that they way she did it was right but it was not what the teacher was looking for.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• With it already being Thursday, I would let it go. They've been doing it this way for the entire year and I don't really see the point in bringing it up now after all this time. Chances are very good that next year's teacher will do it the standard American way.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes it is "acceptable"....what is the big deal?
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Sounds like your daughter's teacher needs to get over herself. Good thing summer break is almost here (c: I always wrote out the date on the board with the full name because I wanted the kids to learn how to spell those words.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Seriously, there are those parents that will find issue with anything. The teachers cannot cater to every parent's whims. This is a pick your battle moment. Save your complaining for something that matters, so that the teacher will take you seriously at that time.

Here I will thumbs dowm me for you......
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree with ochsamom...what's the big deal? There are many different ways to write the date. The only thing unacceptable is that the children laughed at your daughter.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I find it unacceptable the the teacher made a big deal of your daughter not doing it the teacher's way and allowing the other kids to make fun of your daughter for it.. How the teacher writes the date is not the big deal here. There is no reason to be rude to the OP, which is why I would think there were vote downs given.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I did not tell the teacher anything at all. I simply suggested (at home) to my daughter to write the date using slash. The teacher did not stop children from laughing and looked at me showing that she is very upset. I did not do anything at all, I just wanted to clarify here on what actually IS acceptable. Yet, since the teacher did not correct her or did anything else, i an just letting it go.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• This the problem with typing and texting etc. You can't hear my tone or inflection. I was not rude in either post. I honestly do not see the big deal and if you have ever spent time with any teacher they would tell you exactly what I did. If you were sitting in my kitchen having coffee, I would have said the same thing and we would have had a laugh.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Other than the kids laughing at her which is wrong I don't see the problem with the dates. All of those are acceptable ways of writing the date. The slashes and dashes are just ways to separate the numbers. One isn't more write or wrong than any other. I was taught both and now usually write it like this: 6.2.11.
    I don't even know how my kids write the date. It's not an issue as long as they get the correct date down. I think they once asked why I did it with periods and I just said I liked the way it looked and all of the ways were acceptable.
    Maybe your daughter should have asked why one was acceptable and the other not and had the teacher actually TEACH something to the kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2011