Blighted ovum? *long-ish*

My best friend missed her period 2 months ago, took a test and it was negative. It didn't come again last month, so on May 4th she took another test and got a positive this time. She made an appointment with her doctor, told him that she knew what day it was that she conceived. That would have put her at 9 weeks today, and the doctor told her most likely she was between 9 and 13 weeks. Today she went in for her ultrasound and the doctors weren't very nice to her. She was told that the ultrasound showed an empty sack, and that she was only 4 weeks along. The ultrasound tech told her that most likely it was just too small to be seen. The doctor though told her she had most likely gone through a blighted ovum. They didn't answer any of her questions, they drew her blood and told her to come back in 4 weeks, she's planning on switching doctors and I feel so bad for her all I want to do is help her! How would she be only 4 weeks if she had a positive test on May 4th? When she asked, the doctor told her a positive test meant nothing! What can I tell her to help, I can't find any words to say and I can't imagine what she's going through right now. = (

SMC112011

Asked by SMC112011 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Be firm with her and say "We are going to get you a second opinion" and help her find a new dr and just be there for her.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry your friend is going through this, it's tough. It sounds like the doctor is likely correct. The positive test means her body produced hormones, but the embryo did not grow. I think only time will tell.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry your friend is going through this. A blighted ovum is a type of pregnancy loss where and egg is fertilitzed and implants into the uterine lining and forms the gestational sac, but there is a genetic flaw where the baby itself never develops or stops developing very early. However, there often is no bleeding or sign of m/c because the sac is properly implanted and the ovaries are supporting the pregnancy at that point. The actual m/c usually occurs around 11 or 12 weeks when the corpus luteum (which has been supporting the pregnancy) disintegrates and there is no placenta formed to pick up the slack. The catch is that it can be difficult to determine by u/s because what they are looking at COULD be perfectly normal at a much earlier stage of pregnancy. I know when I went through it, the u/s techs would hedge their bets by saying I could just be 5 weeks along and fine... I knew that I was 10 weeks at that point.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Con't. There are a couple things that she can do at this point. One is to do a follow/up u/s in a few days to a week to look for further development. Seeing no progress repeatedly on u/s is a pretty good indication that things are not right. The second is to ask for sequential quantitative beta hcg tests. This will track the levels of hcg (pregnancy hormone) in her blood and will compare levels across various days. In a normal pregnancy, beta hcg readings should roughly double in 48-72 hours; in a blighten ovum pregnancy levels may rise but will not show anything even close to that doubling time.

I'm sorry she's going through this- I've been there too and know how painful it is. If you have any other questions, you can message me and I'll try to answer them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011