Any idea what his breed might be?

This is Mr. Tuttle - we found him at a local shelter, almost hypothermic and starving - he weighed a whopping 1.5 lbs in this picture take two days after we got him.   (What a face! huh)

Poor guy was eat up with worms. And to top it all off - he came to be at the shelter because someone threw him over the fence (I can't imagine such a small puppy even surviving being hurled over a 6ft fence - but he did). The vet estimated that he was between 4 & 6 weeks old when we found him - he was still wanting to suckle. 

Over the last 3 weeks we've nursed him gingerly back to health. His weight has nearly doubled now - a whopping 2.6 lbs now - and his personality has blossomed. (it took him a full week of eating and sleeping constantly before he even had enough energy to play at all). He's smart as a whip, already knows Sit, Down, Come, sits patiently while I prepare his food,  has learned to tag my hand when he wants me to pick him up (we're building towards high-five), holding his bladder pretty well, and has only had one poop accident in the house. 

He is faulty (physically) - we think.  His hips are rather small and the bones protrude upwards (his right hip is worse), and he is HORRIBLE bowlegged - with his knees literally sticking out sideways. The vet thinks from his markings and other physical characteristics that he *may* be the failed result of a back-yard designer breeding  attempt and *guestimates* that he may be part Boston and part Beagle - BUT she also concedes that very well could be a Chihuahua mix (those tan patches on his cheeks is kind of throwing her)

Now we don't really care what breed he is - we saw a little guy that was near death and decided that we had room in our hearts, life and house for him. We are committed to him for the duration of his life. 

But we would like to at least have (or come to) as close of an educated guess as we can get on his breed (or mixes or breeds).

Below are a couple more pictures of him where you can see how his black is patterned like a sweater, with his legs and complete underside white - and that white 1 inch tip on his tail -  I've also included on of him from behind - and if you look close you can see how badly his knees bow out. 

I feel like he would be bigger if her were Boston/Beagle - so I'm leaning more towards maybe Chihuahua/Terrier  - he's mighty rambunctious and demanding with me when he gets ready for food, me to pick him up or to be played with - he will bark and growl, pull my hair (if I'm holding him) and if someone else is holding him and he wants to be put down he will bark and snap at them to put him down (YES, WE ARE WORKING ON THAT - that kind of behavior is a no-no and won't be encouraged or allowed to continue). He's cautious with the other dogs, not dominant or aggressive with them, and he will just chill on my shoulder if they start bouncing around and loud barking , but doesn't act afraid, just kinda get san attitude like "I'm not interested in all that". 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pets

• could be part beagle...i had some beagle mix puppies and they looked alot like that, good luck with your new baby he is precious!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Id say Miniature Pincher mixed with a Chihuahua maybe
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• looks like he has ROTT in his face. but what a cutie
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Too cute for words he looks just like my Chihuahua/ Rat Terrier, and GOD bless you for saving this little mans life, he will love you unconditionally FOREVER!!!!!! Mine was also a pound puppy and I had her for almost 17 years shy of 1 month. She is missed deeply but waiting on me I'm sure. Very very 1 person companions, don't think you could ask for a better one. He knows you saved him and he will love you in return, Congrats!!!!! on the new family member :)
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 1:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I was thinking Rat Terrier as well. Super cute, whatever he is!!!!
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 1:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I know - that round head and flopped ears are confusing - round head like a bolo hat (Boston or Chihuahua) - flop ears?? (Beagle or ?)
    Also that round muzzle - it seems if it were Chihuahua or Rat Terrier/Pinscher his ears would stand up and his muzzle would be more elongated. Right? Even has a little extra in the jowl department - hard to see in the pics but it's there.

And that tell-tell white mark going up between his eyes (coupled with the wide-set eyes) reminds me, once again, of a Boston puppy

Just can't see a 5 week old Rott weighing 1.5 lbs AND have all that white on him.
    IDK, like I said, we don't really care what he is - but it would be nice to say something other than "we have no clue" when people ask what he is (cuz we get that ? lot)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Oh yeah - and those black markings on his nose - are those specific to one breed or another ? They are present inside his mouth as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

•  this is one of the beagle mix pups (dad was a pit bull mix)

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

•  this is the other one lol

josiesmommy00

• How old were those pups Josie?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011