Are you living with guilt?

have you ever done something that you really are not proud of and you just feel so guilty of it all the time? you think about it all the time but cant tell anyone because you know it was wrong. did you resolve that guilt feeling somehow? help me out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• the truth will set you free-- only in some cases
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I was but then I told DH what I did and for a good year it destroyed my life. And I realized telling him relieved my guilt but in turn made him feel like shit and not trust me ever! So IMO it was selfish of me to do what I did and it was selfish of me to tell him because it made me feel better to get rid of the guilt but made him feel horrible. My advice deal with it. Even my counselor said I shouldn't have told him, and DH even said I shouldn't have told him. Ignorance is bliss. Suck it up and deal with the guilt. I know this sounds harsh but don't do whatever you did ever again and learn from it and move on! Letting it out may only end up hurting everyone. P.S. When I confessed because my guilt was eating me alive I also hurt my kids in the process. Seeing us go through this horrible process was damaging to them and I wish it wasn't
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I am of the mind that you have to confess in order to get rid of the guilt and deal with the consequences. If I held something back from my spouse it would be as if our relationship was based on lies and if I lived my whole life like that it would eat me alive. If my hubby would by hurt by whatever it is he still has the right to know and make decisions for himself from that knowledge. It would be selfish in my opinion to keep it in.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree with myownhappiness !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Not sure if you are a Christian or not but if so, the Bible says if you ask forgiveness then God remembers it no more. It's probably something you should follow God's example on. Forgive yourself so you can move on. Learn from the mistake and move on. It's called growing up. We all do things we're not proud of but we don't stifle our growth by carrying the guilt. We get on with life. You should too
    Anonymous

• Well, in a way. It's not a debillitating guilt but I do wish something could have been different. I took care of my mom when she had cancer and I'm just not good at that kind of thing. I'm not the nursy type and though we were ok we never had the loving mother/ daughter relationship. I was her taxi and companion for a good part of 5 yrs on and off and then for her last 6 months. I ended up having to put her in a nursing home after her last hospital stay. It killed me because I knew she wanted to be at home. I visited her every day for hours but I still wish I'd been able to be what she wanted. I guess I wish I could have been there in a more psycologically supportive way for her.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I disagree about confessing to a spouse or someone where the info might hurt another. There is NO good reason to confess to a person if you know it will result in pain for that person. Just make it better. Confess it to God. He's the only one to confess it too unless you are not a Christian then confess it in private to the universe and let the wind carry it away from you.
    Anonymous

• I agree tell the truth and you will feel better,
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree. The truth shall set you free.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I live with the guilt of something I am not proud of everyday. My issue is mostly out in the open to everyone, but there are some things that are just between me and God. I am paying a harsh price for the mistakes people are aware of and I work everyday to repent and make myself and life better because of the mistakes. I try to focus on the things I learned from my mistakes and the successes I have made since. This helps me to not dwell on the guilt and quite frankly gets me out of bed in the morning to face a new day.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 3:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2011