Do you think we really have freedom of religion in the USA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that legally we have the freedom to choose our religion, however,in doing so, we are still judged by others if we don't share the "common" belief. This "common" belief all depends on where you're from, where you live, and so on. There wouldn't be so many different churches from different denominations all on the same street if it wasn't ideal to pick one that best suits you.
    cassnmattsmom

Answer by cassnmattsmom at 7:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Like the other poster said, we do have freedom of religion.
    The problem is with others, they judge you if you don't believe in what they do.
    I am a Wiccan, and I have to keep it under wraps due to this. Its ashame!
    Anonymous

• Hell, as long as it doesn't make you able to have multiple wives and 10,000 children..yeah...LOL!
    Anonymous

• Yes. My friend in China cannot look up Christianity on the web, from his home. His mom is a christian and attends a homegroup (church in someone's home at night) and everyone has to leave at different times to make it look like a party. That's not freedom.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• sure, if youre christian. . . . .

if youre not? hell no. you can get descriminated against and down right terrorized if you live in the wrong neighborhoods. the laws only help if the cops and judges are willing to prosecute for you.
    Shathariel

Answer by Shathariel at 10:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• NO!... There are alot of religions that are not as they say ("American choice") and if you aren't with it you aren't in... plain and simple... NO! The laws may say one thing, but how it's handled is a totally different .... Blessed Be...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I think there are many "Christians" who stifle others who are of other denominations. I have seen it over and over again. And that's just within the the Christian sect. Not including Christians vs Muslims, Rastafarians, etc. I believe that there are many roads that lead to God.
    ThatHippie

Answer by ThatHippie at 1:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• The US is falling on it's face, we are all doomed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• no we do not. I can not practice my mainstream religion in public because the atheist want a country free from religion. Unfortunately some people are treated badly because of what someone else of their religion did.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Theoretically yes we do have freedom of religion. In practice we do at some times & in some places. However the country is moving away from allowing those freedoms.
    Anonymous