I think I might have Gestational Diabetes?

I am 24 weeks but I'll be 25 weeks tomorrow. Well anyways .. about a week ago or maybe 2 weeks , I went to the hospital to get checked bc it looked like I was leaking fluid but they checked and I wasnt and my fluids all looked good and when they checked my urine sample the nurse said it looked like I had glucose in my pee. And starting about a few days ago I have been feeling dizzy sometimes nauseated and a headache , but mostly little dizzy. I am feeling a little dizzy now but I'm drinking water. So what should I do to make it go away in case I do have gestational diabetes? ( I mean what do I have to do when my sugar level gets too high ? and how would I tell is it is? also what kind of foods should I eat through out the day?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Call and speak with a nurse from your doctor's office.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They should be checking you for gestational diabetes soon - if you have symptoms, go ahead and request they check it early. When I was diagnosed (with 4 out of my 5 pregnancies) they gave me a test kit to test my sugar levels. You should eat small meals throughout the day with a mix of carbs and protein. Stay away from sweets obviously, but also things like pasta and bread - you need some but fill up mainly on veggies. Fruits also should be limited since they are high in carbs, and it usually helps if you eat them later in the day rather than in the morning. When I was pregnant, my breakfast was generally 2 eggs and a slice of toast w/ milk (milk also has sugar, so you have to watch that also!)

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Also I have been feeling like my vision is kinda blurry but not too bad but it's doing it a little now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I dont have a dr right now , but I go in tomorrow to a different one since my recent one doesnt take my insurance anymore so I am going to take papers from my old dr to this other one and then they are going to make an appt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Your OBGYN will have you do a Glucose Tolerance test shortly but I would call them ASAP & let them know what the ER said. You need to change your diet. Eliminate all sugar, cut out as many carbs as you can. Eat fruit, vegetables & low fat meats. No white breads, pizza, sugary drinks or snacks. They will have you see an Endocrinologist & a nutritionist to help you with a menu of what you can eat if you fail the Glucose test. Call your OBGYN today.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I was planning on making salmon and veggies seasoned tonight , would I be able to eat this for dinner?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes, that sounds very good, but you may want to add in a carb of some sort - fruit for dessert? or a whole wheat roll? The goal isn't to cut out carbs completely, it's to keep your sugars controlled at a fairly constant level - so it's important to have SOME carbs. Veggies do have a small amount of carbs in them (and "starchy" veggies like potatoes have a lot), but they generally don't count them as a serving of carbs. My favorite snack when I had GD was carrot sticks and cucumbers in veggie dip - and I could eat as much of it as I wanted! Yogurt is also a good snack, and believe it or not, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, any snack that provides both carbs and protein.

Answer by missanc at 2:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011