If you choose an alternative spelling for your child's name, do you get mad when people spell your child's name wrong?

I think it's funny how some parents choose really different spellings and then get upset when people can't remember how to spell thier child's name. We choose a slightly different spelling with our girls, but we knew people would get mixed up sometimes.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Baby Names

• That's funny.. My husband made sure we did NOT spell our son differently.. Not that you really could but before we knew what we were having.. but he had name issues growing up being "HEATH" the candy bar so it was a little closer to home as an issue for him lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have an alternative spelling and it is annoying. I think it is better to go with the classics. I mean, a y instead of an i isn't too bad, but don't go crazy. I know what I'm talking about!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i get annoyed when my dd's name is spelt wrong, i spelt it the original way which is josie ppl sometimes spell it josey
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think you're right.. Don't get all bent out of shape when the name is pronounce or spelled wrong.. I have a very common name and people still misspell it all the time lol..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my husband has a very different name, him and his brother and people mispronounce his name all the time, when I order or buy something I always have to spell his name out and the people look at me like "what?" I'm not embarassed and every parent has the right to name their kid what they choose, but think of their future, don't make it harder for them to succeed in society because you wanted to be creative.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 1:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I get annoyed when they spell my DD's name wrong. Her name is Sierra and sometimes people spell it Cierra. I don't think I chose an alternate spelling... I'm pretty use to people spelling my name with a y (Robin). My Ds's name is Wyatt. Don't think you can really mess that up. But he's only 2 weeks so don't know if we'll have trouble yet or not.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My kids get misspelled a lot... I didn't choose alternate spellings, but my dh is south asian and we chose south asian names that might not be familiar to many people in our area. My son gets called 'Chandler' all the time because it's similar to his actual name (Chander) and people just read his name wrong and see what they are more familiar with. And I have a mental file of misspellings of my middle daughter's name from my own extended family alone- her name is Priya and we've seen it spelled Pria, Prya, Pryia, Prea, Preya, Priea, and even Prieya- and that's pretty much just from my aunt and grandma alone! LOL! The little one is Shanti... she gets called Shante a lot, again because it's similar and probably a bit more familiar. It doesn't make me mad though- what's common is very much in the eye of the beholder. My name (Jennifer) is as common as dirt here, but my ILs from India spell it all sorts of crazy ways!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think it would be silly to get upset over it. My kids all have standard spellings, but there are multiple commonly accepted spellings for both of my girls. I don't get annoyed when someone assumes it's a different standard spelling than the one I chose, but I do get annoyed when a family member doesn't even bother to get the right name, much less the right spelling.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My DS name is Carl and I am constantly being asked C or K. No big deal in fact I make a point now when I make an appt to say Carl C-a-r-l. DD has a gender neutral name and I am always being asked about my 'son' I'm okay with it. Again when making an appt I make a point to say my daughter before I give any info. Now when they same place ask me over and over THAT is annoying because, shouldn't it be in the record by now? If I had given an alternative spelling I suppose I would do the same things. Make appoint of spelling in after I say it 'His name is Jackson J-a-x-o-n Doe D-o-e. beisdes there are TONS of names with multiple 'normal' spellings! Look at Amy for example. Amy, Amie, Aimee, ect... and Stacy, Stacie, Stacey ect...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• With my middle son, his dad and I went for the spelling KIERON. He was born 3 weeks to the day after his dads birthday in 2005, that following Christmas we sat there chuckling at how many cards we got where people had spelt the baby's name wrong lol. It's just the way it goes with some names.
    CreativityGirl

Answer by CreativityGirl at 2:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011